newton lichen on trading fun

Discussion in 'Trading' started by impy barbicane, Nov 16, 2009.

1. " Trading is fun.", I hear once in a while.
    It's a "cachacinha" ("Cachaça" is a brazilian alcohol beverage made from sugar cane).
    You mean, trading is addictive.
    From "fun" to "addiction" it takes only a small step.
    I was once addicted to trading. My account suffered. It took a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG way to free myself from the addictive power of the markets.
    Now I'm making money, for me and for my clients. Guess what? The fun is gone.
    The fun is completely gone, for I'm using a method to improve profitability and reduce overtrading (overtrading leads to poorer performance), and, as a side effect - and what effect! - the emotions of trading are gone.
    Whoever you talk about trading, they will tell you amazing epic stories about great bravery, suffering and battle. They are all emotions: fear, greed, joy, pain, etc.
    Few, very few people will tell you that trading is boring, such as factory work.
    Guess what? The emotional traders are not making money. The boredom traders are taking money from them!
    What is boring about trading?
    To be honest, to quantify is boring. It takes time. It takes effort. It takes more time. And it takes more effort.
    So it is to parameterize.
    To test is boring.
    To avoid spurious correlations is boring.
    To avoid anedoctal evidence is boring.
    To do the same trades over and over and over is boring.
    To not deviate from the plan is boring - specially when your gut feeling makes an extraordinary call about the markets.
    All that is boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring.
    BUT....
    It makes you money.
    Trading is such an interesting field that one cannot get FUN and MONEY at the same time.
    IF YOU WANT THE FUN, FORGET ABOUT THE MONEY.
    IF YOU WANT THE MONEY, FORGET ABOUT THE FUN.

2. What you say is true, but in this market the best opportunities simply do not appear anymroe due to incredibly low liquidity and a low risk taking attitude. its both no $$$$ and boring now.:mad: