Newt vs CNN; First Round TKO

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 377OHMS, Jan 21, 2012.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Newt vs CNN; First Round TKO
    G. Murphy Donovan

"Correspondent John King was lit up like a deer in the headlights by Newt Gingrich at the Republican presidential debate in South Carolina on 19 January. If audience reaction is a measure, King came across like a prissy cocker spaniel baiting a pit bull. Clearly Johnnie clueless had to put a rug cleaning bill and several pairs of knickers on his South Carolina per diem claim. You may recall that King works for Cable News Network (CNN); the 24 hour news advocacy channel begun by one of Jane Fonda's boy toys.

King opened the debate with a banal, offensive, and irrelevant inquiry about Gingrich's second marriage. The opening question wasn't a hanging curve ball; it was more like a 30 MPH "fastball." Predictably, Newt hit it out of the park to a standing ovation. By morning, Gingrich was ahead of Mitt Romney in the Carolina polls. Clearly, the bitter ex-wife smear backfired. John King's smarmy imitation of Nina Totenberg was a coast-to-coast bust.

Gingrich, like Clarence Thomas, knows that the best strategy with Media bullies is to bloody their nose. Rush Limbaugh would take it a step further; he suggests that someone needs to audit the love lives of Media types - if entertainment is the name of the game in presidential campaigns.

Who at CNN thought that Newt wouldn't be ready for an opportunity to expose CNN as another partisan network? If King's boss had any performance criteria, John King would be another unemployment statistic today. King tried to defend CNN by blaming the second wife story on ABC. Gingrich responded by suggesting that defending hearsay by pointing at another network requires a special variety of journalistic cowardice. Amen, brother!

CNN and most of the other networks have never gotten over Newt Gingrich's efforts to convict Bill Clinton; a serial cheat, convicted perjurer, and impeached president. Clinton escaped conviction because US Senators have the ethical compasses of alley cats.

And the most scurrilous charge against Newt Gingrich is hypocrisy. Somehow, Newt's behavior in two failed marriages is supposed to be the moral equivalent of Bill Clinton's behavior. Here's how they are different.

Gingrich wasn't president. Gingrich didn't have a long history of using state and federal office to exploit female staff young enough to be his daughters. Unlike Clinton, he was never accused of being a chicken hawk, exploiting a young, naïve camp follower either. Gingrich doesn't claim that fellatio isn't sex. Gingrich didn't lie to the nation or a grand jury. Newt hasn't been disbarred. And none of the former Speaker's wives, unlike Hilary, have played the bimbo by faking a marriage in the name of "political viability." In short, as Mark Twain might have said, the difference between Clinton and Gingrich is "like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs."

Newt Gingrich's marriages have little or nothing to do with his abilities, or lack of them, to serve in high office. He was Speaker of the House for Charlie's sake. And surely there is enough temperament and policy junk in Newt's trunk to argue about. Nonetheless, given the priorities of the American press corps, we shouldn't dismiss the entertainment potential of an Obama/Gingrich title fight. It couldn't possibly get any better than that. Put your money on the pit bull."

2. When i reached ''Jane Fonda's toy boys'' i knew the direction the article was heading to.
    How is a guy who is running for public office appalled at the media asking him about the appalling things that he has done?

3. Actually, you could SEE his shoulders slump, if you watch body language, he knew right away he had grabbed a tiger by it's tail.

I don't like Newt, I don't like the GOP, but Newt is a Jedi of politics and he is fun to watch, period.

4. Meh, morality is relative. Always has been, Always will be. I just wanted to see how Newt handled the missile.

5. pspr

pspr

John King should have known that Newt would expect that question and be ready to pounce on the questioner. Let no one confuse the word journalist with the word intelligent.

6. I doubt that John King decided that he would lead with that question. Someone far higher up the chain made that call. King may be a liberal, but he is not that dumb. In fact, any number of things could have gone into that decision, from a desire to smear Newt to a desire to tarnish King to a desire to throw Newt the 30 MPH fastball so he could derail the Romney express and possibly enhance Obama's chances.

7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

It was hilarious seeing King vaporized with a surprised look on his face.

I knew the second he tried to blame ABC that he was going to be barbequed alive right there on the spot.

You poke a pitbull with a stick and you're going to get bitten. :D