newt the hypocrite:for the mandate and against it at same time

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Same Old Newt
    Newt: The individual mandate is fundamentally wrong and unconstitutional.

Newt's "Center For Health Transformation": A mandate is a key element of reform.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...-care-group-still-backs-mandate.php?ref=fpblg

Newt Gingrich’s Health Care Group Still Backs Mandate
    Newt Gingrich may want to update the website on his consulting firm.

The Gingrich Group’s “Center For Health Transformation” has a section detailing their prescription for comprehensive health care reform. One crucial plank? A mandate requiring everyone making $50,000 or more to obtain health insurance or post a bond.

According to Mother Jones, which first flagged the site, the post was put up no later than 2008, back when the issue was far less controversial among Republicans.

Gingrich currently says he opposes mandates, but his position has evolved significantly over the years. In the 1990s he supported a health care plan that included an individual mandate as an alternative to President Clinton’s proposed requirement that employers provide insurance. Last Spring he was forced to again clarify his position after he suggested on Meet The Press that America adopt, well, the plan his own consulting firm had come up with, saying that he had long supporter a requirement that “you either have health insurance or you post a bond or in some way you indicate you’re going to be held accountable.” Asked whether it was a mandate, he said it was a “variation on it.”

But Gingrich rapidly retreated from that position, posting a web video the very next day in which he unambiguously shot down the idea of a mandate.

“I am completely opposed to the Obamacare mandate on individuals,” he said. “I fought it for two and half years at the Center for Health Transformation…I am against any effort to impose a federal mandate on anyone because it is fundamentally wrong and I believe unconstitutional.”

The language on the group’s website is at least somewhat ambiguous as to whether it endorses a state or a federal mandate, specifically highlighting federal legislation for some recommendations while not mentioning where policies would be implemented for others. But it’s not just federal mandates that are giving Republicans fits these days: Romney’s continued support for a mandate at the state level is one of his chief vulnerabilities in the GOP race.

2. newt the hypocrite: Obama should give back the money he received from fanny and freddie

http://news.yahoo.com/gingrich-defends-big-contracts-freddie-mac-210236186.html

During the 2008 campaign, Gingrich suggested in a Fox News interview that presidential candidate Obama should return contributions he had received from executives of the two companies ( Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae). He said that in a debate with Obama, GOP presidential nominee John McCain "should have turned and said, 'Senator Obama, are you prepared to give back all the money that Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae gave you?'"

3. newt the hypocrite:

Gingrich admits having an affair in Clinton era

WASHINGTON — Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with a conservative Christian group.

"The honest answer is yes," Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson to be aired Friday, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press. "There are times that I have fallen short of my own standards. There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards."

Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.

4. Max E.

Max E.

Romney must be laughing all the way to the bank, every time one of these candidates pop up, the media focuses all their attention on them, as they all have so many skeletons in their closet. so far Romney has basically made it through this whole process unscathed.

5. In these trying economic times , we shouldn't even bother about an election, considering the class of the present opposition.

We should simply just extend Obama's Presidency another term. :p .

6. rew

rew

Newt Gingrich is just another slimy politician.

7. Romney is the guy.

All this other stuff is political theatre.

8. That's not fair to Newt, he is slimier than most politicians.

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yes but he's no more slimier than Obama.

10. Don't short change the Newt, he is much higher on the slimy scale than Obama. Or lower, I'm not sure which way the scale works.

#10     Nov 18, 2011