Newspapers continue falling

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by hughb, Jan 31, 2009.

1. hughb

hughb

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! now that would be hilarious.

I had actually never thought of this though - Carlos Slim is a White Knight to fend off the raider Murdoch? Interesting.

#11     Feb 1, 2009
  2. slacker

slacker

#12     Feb 1, 2009
  3. I'm waiting to see what the Kindle 2 is like.. I would stream the WSJ and USA Today to mine, had I one... I like the format of newspapers, I like to sit in the coffee shop and read some papers and discuss things with strangers, I make some friends doing that.. .but this libtard systematic extermination of conservatives via the press, TV, movies, etc.. makes my stomach churn a bit..

#13     Feb 1, 2009
  4. nkhoi

nkhoi

5. No one gives a shit about newspapers, let them burn alive.

Smart people have moved to the internet for information.

Dumb people didn't read them anyway.

#15     Feb 1, 2009
  6. Mercor

Mercor

There only hope is for people to print their own at home.

Maybe newspapers supply printers and plain newprint.

#16     Feb 1, 2009
  7. hughb

hughb

AP
    Moody's downgrades Gannett, citing revenue slump
    Monday February 2, 4:25 pm ET
    Moody's downgrades Gannett credit ratings, citing revenue slump and a 'challenging' year ahead

NEW YORK (AP) -- Moody's Investors Service downgraded the credit ratings of Gannett Co., publisher of USA Today, on Monday, concerned by an ongoing slide in advertising revenue.
    The ratings agency said the downgrade was prompted by Gannett's falling revenue and the agency's expectation that 2009 "will be incrementally challenging for the company's newspaper and broadcast operations."

Moody's cut Gannett's senior unsecured rating one notch to a still-investment grade "Baa3" from "Baa2" and lowered its rating on commercial paper -- a type of short term loan companies use to fund day-to-day operations -- to "Prime-3" from "Prime-2."

The agency said Gannett is still on watch for further rating changes. A credit downgrade generally raises the cost of borrowing for companies as debt holders demand higher interest rates from issuers perceived more likely to default.

The move came just days after the company reported a 36 percent decline in preliminary fourth-quarter earnings and said it will take a write down of up to $5.9 billion because of the declining value of its newspapers.

Moody's added that Gannett's entire debt structure is set to mature by April 2012 and said the company's multibillion dollar write down "is reflective of the rapid pace of cash flow erosion."

Gannett, the country's largest newspaper publisher with 85 dailies, has been moving to cut costs, announcing late last year a 10 percent work force reduction at most of its papers, a 5 percent cut at USA Today and one-week unpaid furloughs across the company during the first quarter of 2009.

Gannett's stock tumbled 46 cents, or 8 percent, to $5.31 Monday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service

#17     Feb 3, 2009
  8. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

newspapers is mostly for pleasure.

it's a small price for reading something in print.

amazon sells books and is different medium than e-books.

e-books cost the same. whether the news is in the internet or newspaper. advertisers pay for the news staff. the daily subscriptions only pays for the delivery and paper.

the demographics of newspapers subscribers have more money.

#18     Feb 3, 2009
  9. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

news is not free. advertising supports this site and many other sites. the newspapers are no different than websites like yahoo. they depend on advertising revenue.

#19     Feb 3, 2009
  10. dealmaker

dealmaker

Digital grim reapers are coming for one of the last main revenue streams of newspapers
    Wouldn’t it be ironic if the only thing keeping the floundering local newspaper market from croaking was the death marketplace? Well… according to local online obituary and advertising placement firm Adpay, that’s partly true.

That’s right, obit sections are a $500m yearly enterprise for local papers. But, in order to stay out of a coffin, newspapers are forced to nickel-and-dime customers looking to send their loved ones off gracefully into the night.

Now, Adpay and other digital death-care companies like Legacy.com are stepping in as the local obit’s Grim Reaper.

Desperate times call for desperate measures
    Obituaries typically cost around $100 for a standard listing, but, in a large market, the average revenue per obit is around $486+ with up-charges like photos or logos of affiliated organizations. Small and medium-sized markets tend to be around $318.

Some newspapers charge obituaries by the character numbers in a piece, while others charge by the number of lines, square inches, or word count.

Problem is, because of these desperate upcharges and paywall ransoms, local papes have driven low-income readers away.

As always, that’s where the digital age comes in
    Companies like Legacy.com (which claimed to publish 1 in every 3 obits in the US back in 2017) are cornering the market by taking web traffic away from the online portion of local news organizations.

#20     Aug 29, 2019