News You Can Use

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Brandonf, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

UNH is the only news stock that has setup today. Has a gain of about 50 cents, should work it that you dont take a loss.

B

#81     Jul 18, 2002
  2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

WRAPUP ON NEWS ALERTS: PFG -0.17, PGR +0.80, UNH +1-1.19

#82     Jul 18, 2002
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I have had a number of questions about UNH, specificlly that it had good news and we bought it, as opposed to most other cases we short good news.

Please refer to the class I gave last weds -log is located at http://www.tradingfrommainstreet.com/etchat.html and note that news is only a CATALYST, its not going to determine direction. In most cases a stock is up sharply before a good news surprise, or down sharply before bad news, its already in the system and this gives us a chance to take advantage of those who come in late. In the case of UNH, you can see on a chart that it had not really moved at before its earnings, this then tells me that the news may not have had a chance to price in. Hope this helps.

Brandon

#83     Jul 19, 2002
  4. reported decent earnings beating many estimates after the bell yesterday, but has already had a nice run.

#84     Jul 19, 2002
  5. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Xilinx, Inc (XLNX): The company reported worse than expected earnings for the second quarter in a row. Over the last several weeks it has sold off sharply ahead of its earnings. Look for buying opportunities.

Brandon

#85     Jul 19, 2002
  6. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

[08:35] <Toni> 09:34:57 DAY TRADE UPDATE: XLNX (news) 5 min highs 18.85
    [08:58] <Toni> 09:58:24 DAY TRADE UPDATE: XLNX next exitable event hitting 15 min 20 sma

Gain on XLNX $1.13 on risk of $0.30. Not too bad. Congrats to anyone who took it.

Brandon

#86     Jul 19, 2002
  7. Babak

Babak

Brandon,

just curious...did you keep watching UNH as it set up a short signal (traded below lod and closed gap)? The reason I ask is that the short was much more $$ than the long (using hindsight ofcourse!).

#87     Jul 19, 2002
  8. Rooster

Rooster

Brandon:
    Do you typically have an exit strategy on trades? In your class last Wednesday, you had some profit targets but I didn't catch how those were calculated.

Also, the charts from you class seem to show that you like to use a 2 min chart for entry and exit positions. Is that correct?

Thanks for taking time to teach the class. Very good info !!

#88     Jul 20, 2002
  9. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I had some terrible discipline this week and was missing stuff left and right, the short was one I did miss.

Brandon

#89     Jul 21, 2002
  10. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I always have an excit strategy in place, that might be the next class I decide to do here. As a general rule my targets will be prior support resistence, moving averages etc. I always will also be following the tape and if the circus comes to town I will without exception sell peanuts.

Brandon

#90     Jul 21, 2002