News algorithms?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by dancingphil, Feb 3, 2006.

1. nbates

nbates

I have real-time news feeds (via direct API) from a majority of the news vendors including press wires, boutique daytrader sources, Dow Jones, etc.

And I parse them on-the-fly for special keys and the like...but as said, that's mostly rigamarole for my purposes at least.

#41     May 29, 2006
  2. chs245

chs245

which newsfeed is that ? are you able to analyse the headlines in a separate application ?

greetings,
    oliver

#42     May 30, 2006
  3. I agree with you.

My choice of colleague for writing on trading is a PhD immunologist. We have three years of contact in now.

This is not going to lead to anything like botness but it will make it possible for a person to continually accelerate his equity curve.

Getting to sports memory in trading is more a function of the psy of what is "seen" than any "programming". Bio chemicals as they inject themselves into the scene allow a person to focus on what is really going on.

Getting the triggering to be automatic bio chemically engenders the focus required to ace situations of high potential.

Our approach has been to interview me for hours and hours. It resembles what, I am told, is going on as programmers team to find coding fixes for unusual opportunities.

The logs I recommend to others at this point are arranged to facilitate sequencing the bio chemical and thinking scenarios.

I'm sure the same stuff on a big league scale is possible in terms of getting the machinery to focus on the right stuff to make most money. Steering the machines in the right direction, first, is a key.

In the end, machines will be very helpful, but usually it takes an unexpected turn of events to get to the breakthrough.

We were both contributors to pathology studies where improvements were being sought as a consequence of applying engineering to hospital treatment regimes. The "how do you think about that?" was what led to the above. I just threw in an example of a market situation: "Greenspanning". A lot of immumology relates to imbalances in the human systems; a lack of ability to generate what is needed when it is needed. The mind factory is important in this. That is our mutual focus.

#43     May 30, 2006
  4. Thanks for the insight. All these human vs. logical system tends to take a turn to "expert system" problem. But just from the perspective of noise. Immunoinformation is very interesting for me.

From my point of view, which some have already mentioned in ET already, like nitro... I see the trading arena changing to discretionary -> automated -> and in the near future computer assisted trading.

I have personally gone through the 2 prior steps(prop. trader 6 years ago and now a system trader) successfully earning "little" money. I continue to see the improvements of trading styles and edge, while trying to living up to the high demand as a computerized trader. But it will never overcome the strength of a "superb discretionary trader".

When I mention "superb", they're guys with pure talent and find their trading 99.9999999% irrational. I've in ET for a while but only read about 2 people mentioned who live up to the level of trading which I was exposed.

Just based on the guy I know (who's still a superbly great trader even now) ... the competency of trading systems and/or science/math/computer has a long ways to go.

#44     May 30, 2006

5. nbates: I'm looking for a real-time news feed via API as well. Could you let us know what your using... specifically for OTC news headlines. TIA

#45     May 31, 2006
  6. delta1

delta1

Where can I get more information on that algo?

#46     Jun 1, 2006