News algorithms?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by dancingphil, Feb 3, 2006.

1. chs245

chs245

"Chapeau" is all i can say to that ;-)
    If my average return is twice the stdev of the return, than I'm already in heaven.

Not sure though how biomarkers relate to prepayment risk....

Oliver

#11     Mar 14, 2006
  2. Well...
    Google gives ZERO trading related hits...
    for "immunoligic trading" and "trading algorithm".
    Always a very bad sign.

The webcast you keep pointing us to...
    Is a generic sales pitch/overview...
    Of why your firm MUST absolutely buy their products.

I think you're just using fancy terms...
    For "expert systems" which adapt/evolve/learn in a VERY crude manner.

People... just look at your life.
    How many "expert systems" are part of your life?
    Does a computer diagnose your illness?
    Does a computer fix your car?

The answer is NO...
    Because "expert systems" have not fulfilled their promise.

"Evolving bots" trolling financial markets that are mostly random systems...
    Are no more than a misguided pipedream...
    Or a Machiavellian sales pitch.

rm+

:cool: :cool: :cool:

#12     Mar 14, 2006
  3. GTG

GTG

Wow, I'm really looking forward to reading what you have to say about that.

#13     Mar 14, 2006
  4. GTG

GTG

5. Differentiating between "self" and "non-self" properties of price behaviour...
    In a changing environment that would presuppose defining a rate of change and an algorithm exactly measuring how "self" is morphing to "non-self" and viceversa.

Given the fact, that the rate of change of the environment is not known and we're probably dealing with a stochastic process, it would be pretty damn hard to construct a precise algorithm for a necessary process of "forgetting" or "re-learning".
    The possible effect might be an "immunological reaction".

I don't think successful fraud detection prepares you to even imagine the complexity of the system you're dealing with.
    Another aspect would be competition reverse-engineering your algorithms to fade them in a stochastic, automated manner, triggering risk-management.
    Hm, well that sounds profitable...

#15     Mar 15, 2006
  6. Let's start with the assumption that the state of artificial intelligence right now (as envisioned in the 50's) truely sucks. All the human-esque capabilities that early computer scientists thought would be easy (vision, locomotion (bi-ped), thinking (whatever that means), learning, etc) have turned out to be very difficult.

No disrespect to anyone else here, but if I hear another "Deep Blue" comparison to human capabilities.... I will not be responsible for my actions.

Deep Blue was a complex super computer using advanced custom built software. Not to say it was not an accomplishment - it was - it just was not an "Artificial Intelligence" (or machine learning or adaptive, etc) accomplishment. It basically just searches a bounded set of possibilities - brute force (here is my rant on brute force computing). Try that with Go.

Not to say we can't use AI algorithms to help us trade - heck, that is what I love doing - but the bottom line is that the human is still going to be an important part of the cycle for a very long time.

#16     Mar 15, 2006

7. Let us know what you think GTG - I am curious to hear.

When I read through this AIS stuff it just sounds like genetic algorithms and evolutionary computation, which have been around since the 60's. I can't get a sense of the real difference. Seems like a "buzzwordification" of an existing field.

#17     Mar 15, 2006
  8. sccz97

sccz97

What woudl you say if if I told you i developed a set of algorithms that take in news to trade which has a win loss ratio of > 11:1 over the last 24 months. Would you say that's unlikely?

#18     Mar 16, 2006
  9. No - I don't argue with success. If you are - excellent!

It is just my experience that I have not come across anything out there like you are describing - it is just too difficult.

I would certainly love to hear about your methods and results.

#19     Mar 16, 2006
  10. Well, 8:2 is superexcellent but I know it can be done, from my own experience. 11:1 is so far ahead of that , I cannot imagine it is possible. Especially if you seems to be implying that your method is fully mechanical. If you are saying that you can discretionally do it, I would not argue with that. Although ,I would be still skeptical till I saw it with my own eyes .

#20     Mar 17, 2006