Newly Poor Swell Lines at Food Banks Nationwide

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Bwahahahaha :D :D good one.

#11     Feb 19, 2009
  2. People can't make it on $55,000?? What will they do when the depression comes in full force?

#12     Feb 19, 2009
  3. http://www.mcifp.org/

That is the website for the pantry in Morristown.

I wonder if anyone can just walk in and get free food.

#13     Feb 19, 2009
  4. Illum

Illum

Do they have nachos? F it, Im hungry why pay?

#14     Feb 19, 2009
  5. Mvic

Mvic

In my younger years I used to volunteer at a big regional food bank. We used to do all these drives and collect food from all over the region, high schools, post offices, hospitals etc. People would go to the supermarket and buy stuff at retail and donate it. It would then be put in to the food bank that sold everything to the smaller regional food banks and individuals who came looking for food at 10c a pound! Made no sense at all.

Most of the food that came, the vast majority of it (85%+) was from the USDA and was free. Cheese, pasta, cereal, etc.

This was back in the 80's and the people who would come and buy food would be poor, as in, on welfare and living in public housing. It was sad to see them come in with their kids thin as rakes and we really didn't have much quality food to give them and almost no fresh produce, mostly the only produce we would get would be bannanas and cabbage. I remember that it was a bid deal when we had things like oranges, a feeling like it was Xmas.

I just read about this family in CA and what they can do with 1/10th of an acre in an urban neighbourhood. They produce 6000lbs of organic produce a year on 1/10th of an acre! That food bank I volunteered at had a huge unused parking lot and was on a fair amount of land in an industrial park, some of that asphalt could have been torn up and volunteers (one thing that always bothered me was that the volunteers were almost always from the burbs and never the people who were on welfare and coming to get the food who had time to come in during the work day to get their food, seemed like very little initiative in the self help dept though many seemed to have a hard enough time holding body and soul together so tried not to judge) could cultivate crops for the food bank.

http://www.pathtofreedom.com/urbanhomestead/ataglance.shtml

#15     Feb 19, 2009
  6. weld1

weld1

i hope those people get all they want to eat...such a shame. we are all programed to be spenders and when the powers to be fuck up the people who are the most removed from the source of the problem suffer the most.

#16     Feb 19, 2009
  7. LOL! Brilliant.

In all seriousness, though, if you're making $55,000 and not working in a company that requires you to be in a location such as Morristown, I cannot understand why you wouldn't move to some place like Kansas. They have movie theatres.

If the guy works in a theatre in Morristown, I'm sure he can work in one in a cheaper area. Morris County is too damned expensive. The taxes alone kill us.

#17     Feb 19, 2009
  8. zdreg

zdreg

"the taxes alone kill us' or are you like clinton i feel your pain.

you tried to give the impression that you lived in luxury in moscow. the truth came out.. if not true write more accurately.

you make it sound as if it is easy to switch jobs in the US. it is no longer the case under current economic malaise.

#18     Feb 20, 2009
  9. MattF

MattF

my guess is her income's about 35, his is 20.

#19     Feb 20, 2009
  10. Well, then, they should either stop reproducing or move to Arkansas. Good God! It's not like birth control is such a foreign concept. When I first moved to NYC, I made less than that and I managed to save $6K in the first six months. These people are so useless.

#20     Feb 20, 2009