Newegg

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arnie, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Arnie

Arnie

Just a heads up:
    Doing a new build and could not believe how bad this co has gotten. Order a new CPU with next day delivery ($17) on 1/2. Come to find out they were closed until the 6th and would not refund the overnight fee. I ended up cancelling the order. Another order for an SSD I had to call the re-seller. Come to find out it's on back order, crickets from NE.
    Ended up getting everything from Amazon.

zdreg likes this.
  2. tango29

tango29

Huh, that sucks, I used to use them for computer needs on a regular basis due to great prices and good service. I think it's been about 2 years since I last ordered from them for a pc build for my son. When I built one of my pc's roughly 6 years ago I bought almost everything from them with no issues. Maybe the Amazon competition is taking a toll on them.

3. zdreg

zdreg

Heads up are appreciated and always getting an upvote.
    ps you should enable yourself to receive private messages. Trust me you will get very few private messages and they will be constructive ones.

4. Same. Did a new build with about $6K of parts, nothing from newegg.

5. Arnie

Arnie

They have def changed. Read the more recent reviews. You can still use them for research and then buy elsewhere. The last build I did was 2013, but I did order a new CPU last year with no problems.

6. Arnie

Arnie

Here's my build so far

MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F ($118)
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 ($175)
    SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB ($160)
    Memory: Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 2666 4x8GB ($130)
    HD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ($50)
    GPU: XFX Radeon RX 580 ($160)
    \
    Total $793 plus tax

Using old case and PS.

The build scored 63% for gaming; 115% for desktop; and 100% for workstation.

I know I could have bought something similar for less, but I like to roll my own :)

apdxyk and Overnight like this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

If you have the aptitude, building your own with components will always be cheeper than buying a pre-made box. Because the pre-made will always have something you do not want/need. It pays to tweak it to your own specs.

8. Cuddles

Cuddles

you gotta avoid some of their affiliates

9. Out of curiosity: do you have a specific reason for not choosing the latest generation AMD CPU?

10. Arnie

Arnie

I had originally planned to use a Ryzen 6, but it was on back order, so I consider this an upgrade :). I wanted to keep the cost down and have a good balanced system, so I spent a little less on the CPU and a little more on the GPU, SSD and memory. All in all, it checked out really good on userbenchmark.com

#10     Jan 8, 2020