Newbie stock day trader needs assistance. . .

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by LivToTrade, Feb 15, 2001.

1. I'm a newbie to day trading stocks, although I've day traded commodity futures for years. I stumbled on to this site and started reading these threads and was totally impressed by the volume and quality of information. I registered immediately. Before I had the problem of not enough information, now I've got too much. I would really appreciate your opinion as to how to start out day and swing trading with a demo trade station. I downloaded the latest version of Cybertrader and thought that it might be a good one to demo because you have access to discussion groups and the manual looks very comprehensive. However, I'm aware of the mixed reviews Cybercorp has received in a number of these threads.

Let me rephrase my question this way: If you were starting all over again, and wanted to begin by demo trading, what trading platform or software would you use.

2. Lancer

Lancer

If you're ready for a platform like CyberTrader, also consider RealTick. Give MBTrading a call at 888-790-4800 (or other RealTick broker of your choice). Ask about a TALX demo for RealTick. TALX is a mock execution "route" that is not promoted but is available for practice in RealTick. (TALX: Townsend Analytics Ltd. Exchange) This may not be what you're looking for, but its one option.

When I started, I considered many brokers and software platforms and went with MBTrading and RealTick. Knowing a whole lot more now, I'd still make that same choice again today. Good luck.

3. Lancer, thank you for your response to my question. You say I should also consider RealTick. Does that mean you prefer it over the CyberTrader simulator? If so, I would appreciate knowing why its better. I'm just trying to learn. In any event I'll be calling MB Trading and thanks again. LivToTrade

4. Lancer

Lancer

I'm just alerting you to another trading platform with simulator capabilities. I've found no simulator that adequately represents real market conditions, so consider this a referral, not a recommendation.

The CyberTrader simulator might be a good introduction to direct-access; no account is needed. To run RealTick TALX, you must establish a brokerage account.

As to simulators, I have no preference, but to trade, I prefer RealTick.

5. Lancer, thanks for the clarification.