Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ronricktrade, Apr 23, 2007.

1. I have been trading at a prop firm for the past 2 years. I mostly scalp NYSE stocks and don't hold positions overnight. Ever since the NYSE went hybrid, my profits have diminished.

I am considering program trading. How difficult is it to get started? Is there a high failure rate? I have minimal programming skills but I am computer savy. Should I give program trading a shot?

Any suggestions would help. Thanks

2. You have a few options. One learn to program.... its not as hard as some would have you to believe. BUT does take dedication and time.

Your second option is to use a canned software solution such as TradeStation....

If automated trading is something you want to do, there are many options available to both programmers and non programmers

3. If you decide to program trade, my advice would be to take a programming course at your local university. Yeah, it takes some time and it's a pain in the butt, but you'll learn it a lot faster and make connections with local programmers. One semester should get you a good start.

FC