Newbie question

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by pcll99, Apr 21, 2019.

1. expiated

expiated

I totally agree with this. I have a manual process that I tried to automate by modifying a MetaTrader 4 expert advisor and I could see the potential for the system to generate profits left and right. But unlike you pcll99, I don't have a single year of experience in C/C++ or any other programming language. If I did, I might possibly be able to write code that would properly execute every facet of my system all on its own.

If you hook up with an experienced trader after their having verified their process for you, it might save you the multiple years it can take to develop a profitable system on your own via reading books and whatnot—and I don’t think I’m exaggerating. Best of luck to you!
    (P.S. I developed my system trading Forex, but since that's now completed, I began working on adapting my approach to trade indices just yesterday, and with my system at least, it's looking like the underlying principles are just as workable with respect to equities and commodities as they have been with foreign currency pairs. I would imaging that it might or might not depend on the particulars of the specific methodology you ultimately settle on.)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    #11     Apr 21, 2019
  2. Handle123

Handle123

I have found automation searches for best patterns to be found and discards inferior patterns or lower percentage patterns. It monitors volume, intraday patterns if seeking trades on daily/weekly, whatever you can think of depending on how many filters one has for signal to be viable.

BUT before going into programming for automation, you better be able to breath chart reading ability and no indicators, learn how to draw trendlines, patterns, failures, protective stops, extreme formations/ending of trend to stop signals. Concentrate more on drawdowns than making money, get drawdown percentages low so you have confidence going in, only area you can control the most is risk. Took me a solid three years to learn enough about charting long long ago when I had to do by hand, and you have to be open on always be studying.

Excellent free site on charting.
    http://thepatternsite.com/index.html

Free software and data till you use it in real time.
    https://ninjatrader.com/LP/FreeDown...ng software demo&utm_content=Trading Software

Paid charting software.
    http://www.nebadawn.com/

Good luck

#12     Apr 21, 2019
    a_tech_trade and pcll99 like this.
  3. Many brokers have api's for data, analysis and trade execution, find them and checkout docs. You'll need to partner with a experienced successful trader to cut the learning curve. Or you'll spend and 10 years learning how to become a profitable trader. Pm me where are you located?

#13     Apr 21, 2019
  4. qlai

qlai

I think Perry Kaufman's books would be good starting point

#14     Apr 21, 2019
  5. Here's a step into your 10 year learning curve.

#15     Apr 21, 2019
  6. sle

sle

Go work for an HFT firm. If your C++ is good, you will be minting very soon and learning stuff in the meantime. Give it a few years and you'll be able to go to another firm as your own man, with a nice profit split.

#16     Apr 21, 2019
    djames and fan27 like this.
  7. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

We can provide API for these languages over Futures, and you experiment with it until you go live.

#17     Apr 21, 2019
  8. wildchild

wildchild

Then do it. Get an account at brokerage that has a C/C++ api, code up your algo, and start trading. What are you waiting for?

#18     Apr 21, 2019
  9. lilla

lilla

Hello. Guys and not some kind of program that would collect information and analyze it?

#19     Apr 22, 2019
  10. Wouldn't a successful algo be more profitable being traded vs writing a book disclosing secrets

#20     Apr 22, 2019
    a_tech_trade and wildchild like this.