Newbie options journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by backflip, Oct 3, 2006.

1. backflip

backflip

Very insightfull, thank you. That makes complete sense. So it is better to just do the naked put since it requires less margin. I think I am leaning more towards credit spreads; this way I wont be blown out on a gap or fast moving stock.

#11     Oct 5, 2006
  2. backflip

backflip

Got it. I really appreciate the feedback.

#12     Oct 5, 2006
  3. backflip

backflip

Is there not an oppurtunity to profit on the put if NITE drops?

As mentioned by momoney, the Oct 17.50 covered call (CC) is synthetically equal to a naked Oct 17.50 put. By buying one Oct 17.50 put, you have morphed into a conversion which has locked in the .80 gain. You now have a long synthetic Oct 17.50 naked put and one long Oct 17.50 put which means you make nothing more than .80 nomatter how high the stock soars or drops. If that was your objective, rather than adding another leg and two more commissions, you should have just closed the position.

#13     Oct 5, 2006
  4. Not necessarily less margin under regulation T as the naked PUT will be cash-secured. However, it requires less legs and less commissions versus the covered write. It's also arguably clearer or more transparent where your risk lies.

It's interesting that you mention the risk of being blown out on a gap when looking at it as a naked PUT but perhaps those thoughts didn't cross your mind when you were looking at it as a covered write despite being the exact same position. I'm just speculating though.

Being able to view your position in its simplest form by dissecting it through substitutions and synthetics is a great tool to have at your disposal.

Suggest you consider having a look at Charles Cottle's book: Options Trading: The Hidden Reality

Many find the content difficult, but persevere, it's not really and will pay dividends.

#14     Oct 5, 2006
  5. You'll profit on the long PUT....but you'll lose on the short same strike PUT (long stock + long CALL)!

Long PUT + short PUT = no position/locked position.

Load the position into some analysis software and you'll observe an expiration risk profile of a horizontal flat line. The vertical displacement of the line is equal to your locked in PnL.

Again, it's about transparency. View your covered write as a short PUT and you'll realize that your long PUT is simply offsetting your existing position.

Good luck!

MoMoney.

#15     Oct 5, 2006