Newbie looking on becoming a full time trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Nico, Feb 17, 2009.

1. dowdown5

dowdown5

nico i had a few friends that learned how to trade from the pros at the traders room and they are doing pretty good for newbies...check out ttr at thetradersroom.com

#21     Apr 6, 2009
  2. Mr J

Mr J

Excellent. As I've done both of those, I like my chances at succeeding in trading :p. Well, I didn't actually succeed at card counting (under-capitalised), but it did lead me down the path of +ev.

#22     Apr 6, 2009
  3. Wow this faggot is trying to sell 20 minutes worth of "voice" advice for $100!

http://daytradewell.com/buy-marks-time.html

Apparently he once manged $150,000,000 in assets and also ran a hedge fund. I bet if he was anything remotely successful, this scum would've had enough money that he wouldn't have to waste his time on some shitty website marketing his "expertise". .

#23     Apr 13, 2009
  4. lwang116

lwang116

Nico,

I recently did what you are contemplating doing. This is something I've wanted to do for over 5 years. I was an energy trader at a top tier English I-B. During this time, I've paper traded, read numerous books on the mental side of trading, on trader stories, on systems etc.., tried to over optimize and develop mechanical and automated "systems" and even opened a small prop account in my girlfriend's name(compliance) and traded remotely during my "spare time". I blew that account up in a few months. However, I knew this will always be something I wanted to do. If I didn't, I would always wonder what might have been. It's like that really attractive girl in high school or college that was nice to you but was nice to everyone and you never gathered enough courage to do anything about it and find out for sure. Well, I finally decided that I've learned enough sitting partially on the sidelines. I needed to finally ask coach to put me in the starting lineup. So my advice is that if you're confident and have put in the time and you know this is something you want to do then go for it. Ask yourself what's the worst that can happen? If I fail, then I would answer a question that has been lingering for a long time and then go back to wall-street and get another trading job. I'm sure you can do it too if you already have the experience.

Good Luck.

#24     May 23, 2009
  5. Did you make money or lose money trading energy for a top tier English I-B?

#25     May 23, 2009
  6. lwang116

lwang116

it would be pretty silly of me to leave a very well paying trading job to trade for myself if I didn't make money at an I-B with all its resources and support.
    so, short answer is yes
    but I think we're getting off Nico's point a little... for Nico, it's a matter of evaluating whether or not this is a dream of his and if he's willing to put in the time and sacrifices
    if so, he should go for it like I did and if we fail... we have solid experiences and skills to fall back on
    i think young adults straight out of college should avoid going straight to a prop shop even if they love and dream of being a trader... there's so much to be learned not about the markets but about yourself... so much maturing that needs time and a certain level of financial security that needs to be obtained.... real world job experience is one of the few ways to get all these things

#26     May 23, 2009