Newbie looking for guidance

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by matty492, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Correct. You either trade well or not. Frequency itself does not determine win/lose. (However most frequent traders are scalpers... and it's more difficult to win with that style.)

#31     Oct 15, 2010
  2. .

#32     Oct 15, 2010
  3. matty492

matty492

OK.

So given that, what is the best course of action for someone with 0 connections, a simply Finance degree (with a horrid GPA), and 0 experience in the industry who wants to get into corporate finance?

#33     Oct 15, 2010
  4. Seems the odds are against you. Many "finance types" with experience and better grades than you have been let go.

As for the possibility of a trading career... you can make yourself into a good trader. To prepare your brain I suggest a course or two in (1) Logic, and (2) hard science.. like forensics, physics, or chemistry.

To succeed in the financial markets, you need skills in observation, data analysis, logical deduction, and risk analysis.... then, discipline to follow through. When you become good at all of these, you can be a big winner. Until then, the market will expose any and all weaknesses.

#34     Oct 15, 2010
  5. Your usage of "investment banking", "corporate finance" and "trading" indicate that you don't really understand the different functions within this business. Rather than explain them to you here, I will give you a set of alternatives. Once you find out a little bit more about these functions you can choose the appropriate one:

Try to get into a b-school that has a reputation for placing students on Wall Street.

or

Try to get a back-office job at a bank, and move up within the company over time.

or

Get a list of hedge funds, call them, and offer to work there for cheap or free to get a foot in the door and prove yourself.

or

Try and get a temp job in the legal/finance department of a large corporation (like GE, Intel, 3M, for example). Work your way up the ladder.

#35     Oct 15, 2010
  6. LOL!

If you have a horrid GPA in finance, why are you even looking to work within the finance industry?

I think you need to go back to school and study nursing.

#36     Oct 18, 2010
  7. matty492

matty492

Because I was a pro poker player in university and my time was spend building a 100k bankroll rather than studying.

Today tho I no longer enjoy playing poker full time and would like a shot at something legit

#37     Oct 18, 2010
  8. jokepie

jokepie

Matty,

Poker has nothing to do with your success in Invest. Banking Career !! It is a different ball game. You will have to be good with numbers, finance and sales skills.. there is no other way to it.
    Going to business school and get good GPA is not a OPTION.

Day trading come little close to Poker- and people will kill me on this but. Try it first as it seems to be closest to your taste.

#38     Oct 18, 2010
  9. vk60546

vk60546

Okay, thanks for that explanation. Though I'm confused as to what happens when you have 1000 shares and you want them sold . What price to they get sold at?

for example, (GOOG) google trades at 615.15 as of 2:14PM EDT today.
    What if one placed the order to sell 1000 shares, what would the final price be?

What if there are other people trying to dump their stock at the same time and the price drops to 300 (pure hypothetical number). if I place an order to sell at 615.15 how much money do I get?

How long does it take to fulfil the order like this?

#39     Oct 18, 2010