Newbie looking for guidance

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by matty492, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Get a B school degree then come to the U.S and take a high paying corporate finance job away from a hardworking facebook/youtube/iPhone jockey.

#21     Oct 14, 2010
  2. pspr

pspr

Matty, don't listen to the nay sayers in this thread. Trading is EASY!! Yes very easy. Anyone can be a trader.

Now, if you want to be a WINNING trader, THAT is very hard. Even if you manage to become a winning trader it can all be taken away from you next week. Your method will quit working, the markets will change, or maybe you'll never find that winning combination. Save yourself a lot of pain and do something else with your life.

#22     Oct 14, 2010
  3. jokepie

jokepie

You know the answer better than this. You were a professional poker player. Why do the best always end up on the Final table.

Even though it is a Zero sum game - Its still a Game for you against millions other players. If you are good and keep increasing ur Chips (Account) with good risk/money management. There are Infact million other loosers in the world to help u get where you wanted.

Anyways - Zero sum game concept is a statistical EXPLANATION for people who do not succeed. Its just that money is CREATED in a BULL market and DELETED in BEAR. If you are on the wrong side you pay the price.

#23     Oct 14, 2010
  4. Oh boy. You got a long way to go, kiddo.

Investment Banking is a field completely separate and different from trading. A realistic view of it is long abusive hours, endless work putting together pitchbooks, lack of sleep and likely an asshole MD or VP on top of you. But you will learn A LOT and it is a solid set of experience to have on your resume.

#24     Oct 14, 2010
  5. matty492

matty492

So what your saying is, Investment Banking is horrible, and so is trading. Hmmmm great. I guess I should try to become a Facility Manager then lol (my current industry)

#25     Oct 14, 2010
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

No one is saying it's all bad. It's just going to be an uphill climb for a while. How long? That's up to you.

I manage opm as a RIA. I'm performance only, and that means if they do not make money, I get paid zero. I chose that model after working for Merrill Lynch (Argh!), and I consider it a fair model for managing retirement assets vs. the rest...

How am I doing? Oh, I am up 3,000% ytd. Lol! Actually, 7.2% with a beta of .77
    I work close to 60 hours per week, and sit in front of screens all day, am on the phone often, and travel some. It's certainly not easy.

Do some reading, and see what interests YOU the most. You MUST be able to trade with YOUR own personality...

Wish you the best!:)

#26     Oct 14, 2010
  7. All and absolutely all frequent traders lose.
    Read the Taleb Nassim books: Fooled by randomness and the Black swan.

Wall street is full of scammers:
    Brokers recommend frequent trading to get more commissions, even if all customers lose.

#27     Oct 14, 2010
  8. wrong. the distribution is just very skewed.

#28     Oct 14, 2010
  9. Quality attitude you got there. Be realistic, do you think entering into Investment Banking is some cushy job where you get to sit on your ass and have fun? No, it's a grind. But the experience is valued highly in other fields.

As for trading, it's very hard to break in on the institutional side. Trading for yourself or the "put money down" prop firm, well anyone can try that but being even moderately successful at it is another story.

#29     Oct 15, 2010
  10. matty492

matty492

Well Im just trying to gauge where exactly I should go from here.
    I understand its alot of hard work. That, I am prepared to do.
    Altho the lack of sleep part does not go over well with me.

I just want to be paid well. What do you think is the most "comfortable" finance position that pays really well?

#30     Oct 15, 2010