Newbie looking for guidance

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by matty492, Oct 13, 2010.

1. matty492

matty492

jokepie,

I have read alot already. I mean, i DO know what a stock is but, I find it hard sometimes to apply all the technical terms and relate them to the real world. I like the way scrub described it. Thanks.

I think i would prefer to be an investment banker. But ive read that it is highly competitive and cutthroat. I speak fluent french which is an asset and I will apply today to bilingual Financial Analyst positions that I have found online as the Financial Analyst seems to be the starting point.

#11     Oct 14, 2010
  2. matty492

matty492

I have read that trading is actually going to dry up because of the advance of electronic trading computers. But what I would like to know is, can anyone be a day trader? Or must they go through a broker?

Can I trade shares online? Just like Forex.com allows to trade currencies? Also, what is the best thing to trade in? Theres sooo many instruments it seems hard to know which is the best.

#12     Oct 14, 2010
  3. jokepie

jokepie

IF IB is ur choice and not Day trading then - the path is clear.
    Get into a Good B school for MBA i am talking about top 20 (US) - makes sure you have 2 yrs of experience in a reputable financial firm prior to getting into MBA - IB major.
    Experience can range from Financial analyst/ Portfolio analyst assistant/ trader assistant(??)/ Institutional sales / under writing etc.

Cutthroat - very
    Possible - needs little hard work + luck + CONNECTIONS.

Gud luck

#13     Oct 14, 2010
  4. matty492

matty492

I find that confusing tho. I mean, isnt an investment banker basically a trader? except hes being told what to do by his portfolio manager?

So if I were a day trader for years, couldn't I then become an investment banker easily?

I live in Canada so going to a top US school is likely out of the question. Plus, my grades in university were downright horrible.

#14     Oct 14, 2010
  5. LEAPup

LEAPup

I understand the feeling completely! I always wanted to be a Veterinarian.

Have kids in High School, and I DO NOT want to have to go back to school at my age.

However, I really wonder what could have been at times...

OP, you may be being saved by some posters here. Think it through.

#15     Oct 14, 2010
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

Nailed it!!!! Valuation is one thing... It's the PERCEIVED value that drives price.

#16     Oct 14, 2010
  7. jokepie

jokepie

No,

"An investment bank is a financial institution that assists corporations and governments in raising capital by underwriting and acting as the agent in the issuance of securities. An investment bank also assists companies involved in mergers and acquisitions, derivatives, etc. Further it provides ancillary services such as market making and the trading of derivatives, fixed income instruments, foreign exchange, commodity, and equity securities."

What this means is that you actuall yhelp CREATE stocks for new/old companies and then SELL them to the Market. Its called the Buy Side. Your motive is not to make profit buying and selling or vice versa.
    You just sell new issues (stocks/bonds etc) and Take fat commissions home.
    You could help in Mergers and Acquistions - Company A buy Company B etc.

#17     Oct 14, 2010
  8. LEAPup

LEAPup

Agreed 100%!

This should be a good thread for ET.

#18     Oct 14, 2010
  9. matty492

matty492

So in your opinion, it is best to be an IB than a trader?

Or is that only because, trading is a negative sum game (with fees) so naturally there will be more losers than winners over time.

It feels like its just one of those thing, where those who have struggled will say "trust me dont do it" and those who succeed will not say anything

#19     Oct 14, 2010
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

#20     Oct 14, 2010