Newbie here...advice needed.

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by macrojohn, Apr 3, 2006.

1. macrojohn

macrojohn

I've been looking at the posts here all day, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question already, but what's the best software for someone with no programming background, but years of trading experience?

I have some ideas that I would like to test...is the answer Wealth Lab?

Also, if anyone has used it in the past, is it user-friendly? I'm a pretty quick learner, but am also pretty technically illiterate.

Thanks in advance...

2. Don't waste your time - just read The Logical Trader :)

3. I had zero computer coding skills before I started using The Wealth-Lab.com web site. While I have no personal experience with Tradestation or Amibroker, other traders have posted their experiences using those programs and also found them easy to learn. As usual, Your Mileage May Vary.

- Spydertrader

4. Choad

Choad

I wouldn't go with WL.

I use it and like it (but I have been programming since 1976), but to me it is a programming language. To get the most out of it you need some programming experience. They added some "wizards" to help you get started, but they still create "code". You may have a bit of trouble with it.

With enough work, you can overcome anything. To some, like spydertrader, it is no problem.

Also, it is only available to non-USA traders, or you need a Fidelity account.

I would try Amibroker or InvestorRT.

5. My answer is big "NO"

I recommand Tradestation for many reseons
    -All in one plateform
    -Lot of improvement expected this year, issues like forex automation, portfolio testing, european markets, fundmentals backtesting.... will be resolved
    -New branches in Chicago and London will be active soon
    -high level fully developed scripting language with best documentions out there that makes it ultra easy to learn
    -Has more 3rd party supporters than any other properatitery language and it afaik should double within next two year .

Tradestation is going through major changes this year and it should become industry benchmark for non-programmers/retail traders needing strategy and automation features...

6. Between Wealthlab and Tradestation, TS code (easy language) is easier to learn, but Wealthlab is more powerful for sophisticated programmers. So, to answer your question I would recommend Tradestation.