newbie help ...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by moonlightxpress, Jan 18, 2009.

1. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

trading is just like any business venture to the taxman.

trading profits/losses is no different from any other business.

the tax writeoffs have to be cost of trading. you can't writeoff you car or even home if you trade at home as an individual trader and have no clients.

that is why you need clients. the expenses must be essential to your business operations.

excess tax writeoffs will get you an audit.

#11     Jan 19, 2009
  2. NoDoji

NoDoji

Red, does your trading P/L run through your corp and you pay yourself a salary?

#12     Jan 19, 2009
  3. Redneck

Redneck

Yes Sir

Also pays my Wife a salary - She's the CEO

Allows me to set up a 401K (no shorting but can enter long on short etf)

I can rent a space from mysely for quarterly mtg's, or hold "off site" quarterly mtgs

Set up medical account

LLC will allow you to write off training, training material and 'some' travel expenses, all costs of doing business... etal

Take Care

#13     Jan 19, 2009

4. This is not true. If you have Trader Status, as an individual you can write off part of your rent or mortgage for home office, satellite feed for Bloomberg, cell phone for calling broker, trade magazines, books, internet access, any educational expenses, etc. etc. etc. just like any other small business.

#14     Jan 19, 2009
  5. wdaniel

wdaniel

Hi, everybody. I'm new in this forum, so I don't have experience about it. I just wanted to say HELLO. My name is daniel. Iwish all of you good luck in this business, and I wish good look for myself too. Haha. :D

#15     Jan 19, 2009