Newbie Entering the Lions Cage

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by youngtrader, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Thanks for the great insight. Yes I can and do think like a trader (I have been a trader since age 11). I have traded just about every type of market out there (sucessfully) and would like to add eurex products to my arsenal. My biggest problem is that I get very complacent. Therefore I continuously am changing markets and trading styles to keep me interested in the game. I would just like to hear from some veteran eurex traders about the bund, bobl, and schatz markets.

Thanks

#11     Jan 18, 2008
  2. rosy2

rosy2

agreed. the early morning US hours seem good. keep in mind eurex fixed income has some of the most active automated programs trading it.

#12     Jan 18, 2008
  3. Don't you get bored

You're obviously 'increasenow' acting under another name with these inane threads

Give it a rest

#13     Jan 19, 2008

4. lol I take that as an insult to be called increasenow! I most certainly am not him under a different name. Check out my journal called youngtraders commodity journal and you will find that this isn't my first rodeo in the commodities game. I am a highly sucessful commodities trader that is just looking to expand his trading into eurex fixed income. Yes its true that I do trade both the bobl and schatz profitably as of right now but i am looking to better myself in trading these contracts by asking if anybody who trades these contracts on a daily basis has any tidbits of advice that would be benificial.

My main reasons for even wanting to trade eurex fixed income is because of the simple fact that everybody complains about how it is impossible to make money in them. They blame "flippers" and automated trading systems for their failure. To me the eurex fixed income products sounded like a great opportunity to challenge myself. Like I said before I get complacent and am continuously looking for another game to play.

Thanks Again

YT

#14     Jan 19, 2008
  5. If you've bothered to say you're not 'increasenow' then fair enough and apologies are in order,those threads are seriously mind-numbing.

With regards to a veteran bund-trader,there's a reason why those words are rarely used in the same sentence and that is that few exist.

Why is this?Because the Bund is so unpredictable.What works in there has no lifespan and the game changes literally from day to day.

With so many more people having access to it why are volumes not going through the roof?For every reasonable volume trader that quits there are 20 'newbies' who think they can do it.

If you wanted a challenge then you've certainly got one.If I sound blunt it's because I've seen a lot of people waste a lot of time pursuing something they regret and I think it only fair to offer some warning rather than encourage you with tales of people who do really well.

With regard to everyone blaming flippers and automated programs on their failures,if you are seriously going to trade with 3-4 tick stops then give it a few weeks and see how you feel about them.

Also at $4 a round trip I'd avoid bund/bobl spread,especially if you're trying to scalp.

#15     Jan 21, 2008
  6. Nahh...it aint him, bro

#16     Jan 21, 2008
  7. ynox1

ynox1

IF these are the reasons why you want to trade the Bund, and also because you are bored, then you must really be making millions. Were you in the last "Market Wizzards" book? maybe you'll be in the next one. Well, for some reason I don't think I've ever read about you. There was no legend trader that ever said, I started trading something because I was bored of something else. That is bulls**t. In my view, if you are succesfull in one contract, you can never get bored of it, everyday is different, presenting you with different challenges. And if you are making good money in it, why change???
    So, save your time, and money and stick to what you know.

Now, in the other hand, if you havent made any money in what you are currently trading, and want to have a fresh start somewhere else, Bund will give u opportunities everyday. It will take time and perseverence for you to be consistant in it, but it is very possible. But it can also destroy you if you are not carefull. To trade it, keep it simple, make sure you are well aware of what the markets are looking for in the current economic conditions, trade the US figures, make sure you have a good squawk service for news and events. Make sure you have a good risk strategy and stick to it; in terms of technical strategy, keep it simple, and it will take you time to find the best strategy that works for you and the bund. Good luck.

#17     Jan 21, 2008

8. I knew I would get everybody going when I said that im getting bored and looking for something new lol but to be honest that is really whats happening. Yeah I have made money in my previous contracts (not millions but I did well). I get very complacent (in life) and am always looking for something bigger and better. I know it sounds hard to believe but this is the honest to god truth.

Finally got the balls to start trading the bund and so far im up a little over $200. So not to bad considering I thought the bund might blow me out of the water! Im trading off of a 13 tick chart and a 15 min chart. Just scalping 4 ticks here and there. Its trending really nice today so there have been loads of opportunities for quick scalps.

#18     Jan 21, 2008
  9. ynox1

ynox1

Why dont you just increase your size and trade what you know? if u are so good at it, u can be really big and dominate it; then u can open a hedge fund, become a billionaire, buy a football team......
    or, instead, u can trade the bund and be happy u are up $200!

#19     Jan 21, 2008

10. Spreader

Thanks a lot for the advice. I do have a question about the algorithm traders. You mentioned that I should give it a few weeks and then see how a 3-4 tick stop works. I have only been trading the bund since 3am (not nearly a few weeks) but im using a 4 tick stop and I don't see anything wrong with that. Do the algorithm traders try to run the market for 3-4 ticks usually and that is why you wouldn't want to have a 3-4 tick stop? If not what is the reason?

I also would like to know the "games" these traders try to pull on locals if you know of any.

Thanks for all the help

YT

#20     Jan 21, 2008