Newbie emini sp500

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Coach Potato, Oct 17, 2010.

1. RobertG

RobertG

I think what you did to calculate the total value of the contract was the right move! Although this is not what used for margin.

I too often use this to understand how much leverage I am taking on my account. Day trading margins are determined by the brokerage.
    Dont go for the $500 day trading margins where you max out the account.

Now, your first trade will be a good one. The rest will be losers.
    Then you will learn how to trade...if you are a persistent.
    We all remember our first trade....this is what we all want again: a beginner's luck.

#11     Oct 19, 2010
  2. Consider this; MAYBE 5% of people trading futures make money, and that includes the banks who make most of it. You stand a better chance with stocks. VERY few people make a living doing either. There is a big difference between making money, and making enough to make a living. Everyone on ET makes tons of cash, or so they say. Even if the people on here aren't lying, they are the one in 100 who made it. Good luck.

#12     Oct 19, 2010
  3. So $1406 initial margin will allow me to buy 1 contract, and $2812 will allow me to buy 2 contracts, right?

#13     Oct 21, 2010
  4. volente_00

volente_00

Leverage allowed ranges from 10:1 to 196:1 depending on your style of trading.

$5625 per contract if you want to hold the position through globex closes.

$300-500 if you just want to trade and are always flat before globex closes.

I don't advise using the low margins until you have traded profitable on sim first.

A good starting point is $2000 per contract

#14     Oct 22, 2010
  5. crash test dummy warning...

#15     Oct 22, 2010