Newbee Needs A Good Online Trader.

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by DrAtomic, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Hey,hey...Etrade aint the cheapest, IB has hot commish 1000% cheaper. Do you prefer he's gonna give his $$ to the broker or to us?

DrAtomic

Don't waste dosh on high commissions... they'll eat into you profits, trade small size.

#21     Sep 7, 2005
  2. wabrew

wabrew

100 free trades on Etrade - learn there and then switch to IB or whoever

#22     Sep 7, 2005
  3. Good idea.

#23     Sep 7, 2005
  4. wabrew

wabrew

DrAtomic - Bitstream is right - many of the trading B/D's offer commish less than .01/share.

This is not important to me since I always trade at least 1000 shares, usually at mkt, and I get unbelievably good fills, many times better than the spread bid/ask on active stocks. I have gotten so used to Etrades platform that I really would not change to save 3-4$ on a trade when I can trade up to 5000 shares for $9.99.

So... I am happy with .01 commish rate.

Good luck

#24     Sep 7, 2005
  5. GTC

GTC

Scottrade would be a bad idea. The good thing about having Scottrade as your first broker is that you are going to like most other brokers when you switch out of Scottrade. Etrade is a less bad idea. However, if you open an account E-trade, you actually still have to pay at least $9.99/per trade. If you do end up trading 100 times with the first 30 days, you'll pay about $1000 in commission before your first month is over. For a new account, E-trade will reimburse your first 30 days' commissions (up to 100 trades) about 2 months later. Moreover, if you don't stay with them for at least 6 months, they will charge those commissions back to you. Besides, E-trade has an account transfer out fee to make the parting even bitter.

Considering that you at least worked on trading concepts for a year or so, you might want to go with RML trading. I think they currently have $2.95 per trade for both direct and non-direct orders for a specific deal with new accounts. You can also choose per share pricing if you like.

#25     Sep 7, 2005
  6. IB is the cheapest of them all for 100 lot.

Just $1 a side.

And you are not playing against the house when trade FX.

#26     Sep 7, 2005
  7. I'm thinking more like a nuclear scientist. Any bets on whether his account suffers a core meltdown?

#27     Sep 8, 2005
  8. at 5k a week he can fund all the proliferation he wants :)

#28     Sep 8, 2005
  9. IF you have 10k so you are not going to daytrade (at least youtrade futures or forex ) so I recommend to you some cheap in data and per share comission.

I think IB or MBT are fine for some kind of guy like you.

Ameritrade is too expensive for someone with that amount and scottrade is good if your chinese...

#29     Sep 8, 2005
  10. Good luck to Dr. Atomic with whichever broker you decide on.... I like it when people take the profits and make $$$$ in the markets.

#30     Sep 8, 2005