New York: Where the Worst Drivers Live

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Tom B, May 21, 2009.

1. Cesko

Cesko

If I compare Istanbul, Rome,Prague,San Diego and Chicago. Chicagoans are the shittiest, nastiest drivers by far.

#11     May 22, 2009
New York people do not learn to drive until late in life. When the rest of u are learning when we are kids. In NY they do not need a car. They glow up, have kids and get cars when the kids are out of the house. By then there reflexes are gone, they canÕt see and they are on prescription drugs big time. Similarly they move to Florida.

Out west a large segment of the population has English as a second language, no surprise they cannot pass a written test. I donÕt know how the president ever made it going to school in Hawaii.
[​IMG]
Idaho #1, you have to take driving seriously out there with so many different kinds of wild animals running across the road, Bear, Elk, rabbit etc.

#12     May 23, 2009
  3. Cutten

Cutten

Until you start fining people large amounts of money for careless and dangerous driving that doesn't actually cause accidents (e.g. tailgating at a 0.5 second gap from the car in front on a highway), this will never change.

95% of car drivers are potential killers who shouldn't be allowed on the roads.

#13     May 23, 2009
  4. So what you think, 100% of the people should pay for roads and only let 5% approved by you, use the them?

Nobody thinks that they are going to get caught. What evidence do you have that fines act as a deterrent?

#14     May 23, 2009
  5. Cutten

Cutten

Do you always construct straw man arguments?

I think roads should be paid for by the people who use them. I think people who recklessly and needlessly risk the lives of others should be prevented from and punished for doing so, unless the latter consent to it. I think minimum standards of driving safety are objectively measurable and should be met before one takes a motor vehicle onto the public highway. Private roads can be anything goes as far as I am concerned e.g. racetracks, rally courses, or privately owned highways, as long as everyone there is informed of the risks.

These standards are already almost universally applied for high speeds, dangerous driving, drunk driving, driving underage, driving without having passed a test etc. There is no reason they should not be applied to other life-threatening activities such as tail-gating at high speed, driving whilst using a cellphone, driving too fast for adverse weather conditions, failing to learn and practise basic driving skills such as skid control etc. Almost all driving skills are objectively measurable, so it is not my opinion - these are facts we are dealing with.

Fines will deter some people. Those who aren't deterred by fines can be deterred in other ways. Those who can't be deterred can be forcibly prevented from driving. Those who kill or injure innocents by their own laziness, negligence, and recklessness should pay for their immoral actions.

Formula 1, where cars routinely race in close proximity at speeds of 150-200mph, has a better safety record over the last 15 years than the public highways of every country in the civilised world. Ditto for the World Rally Championship. That is a ridiculous state of affairs and shows that public roads and their users are governed irresponsibly.

#15     May 23, 2009
  6. My favorite: on the interstate is someone who is driving in the left hand lane, crossing three lanes to make the exit. Imo, if you cause another driver to make a defensive move, you've made a mistake.

Re ny cab drivers, imo, horns are a language all there own.

#16     May 23, 2009
  7. aegis

aegis

Florida and Nevada should be much closer to 50.

#17     May 23, 2009
  8. Ha, isn't South FL and Las Vegas where NY drivers go after retirement?

I've lived in both places and drivers are terrible. When your light turns green you don't don't dare pull out into an intersection without at least a 1-second count. There are routinely 2 or 3 consecutive cars running red lights.

If you choose to stop at an intersection where the light is yellow, you also run the risk of getting rear-ended by the guy behind you.

#18     May 23, 2009
  9. I've ridden in those Jeepneys (not sure of spelling)... hair-raising trips

i was on some islands there too, and those guys drive down pitch-dark dirt roads like they have a death-wish.

#19     May 23, 2009
  10. Asian women are the worst drivers... the older they are the worse they drive.

#20     May 23, 2009