New York Trading Expo

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Yannis, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Yannis

Yannis

This is becoming the rapidly diminishing trading expo :( Many fewer people than last year (the trend down is accelerating) and even fewer exhibitors. Seems to me that the big firms (and only them) are taking over the show and traders are not showing up. It used to be that smaller trading outfits were there in large numbers peddling their new/exciting wares and providing lots of interest and entertainment. Now it's Fidelity, Schwab and Tradestation running the show... excellent firms but we already know everything about them. My prediction is that within a year or two, this expo will cease to exist. Too bad. Oh well.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

It doesn't surprise me. The company that puts on the show just doesn't get it. They basically refuse to pay a dime to sites like ours to market their shows, but instead want to do barter deals. And some of the people they bring in as guest speakers are not exactly figureheads of the industry if you know what I mean. I think their trade show model worked back in the late 90's and early 2000's, but times have changed and the person-to-person sales pitches for software and brokerage services is a deprecated concept at this point.

3. EricP

EricP

I know exactly what you mean, and agree completely. Too much snake oil being pushed on unsuspecting novice traders for many years. The result is a dying Expo. (the boring market doesn't help much either)

I attended the first seven consecutive Expos (in New York City and Ontario, CA). They were a GREAT resource for traders, with sponsors including 12-18 different brokerage firms, various software providers, ECN's, etc. I got a ton of value out of attending the Expos in the early years. I've probably only attended ~3 Expos in the last six years and during that time I mainly have met with friends and perhaps spent 1-2 hours max in the exhibit hall. Nothing much worthwhile to see at the Expo these days, IMO.

Tim (Bourquin) and Jim (Sugarman) did an awesome job of creating the Expo, and made an excellent exit when they sold it to the MoneyShow people. Although, I suspect that the Expo would be a much better event if Tim and Jim were still in charge and running the event.

4. The first one had almost no marketing, and, if I recall correctly, the opening speaker was that Velez character from Pristine. Yet it was overflowing with attendees, standing room only in the seminar conference rooms. It's just a sign of the times. The equity market is at or near all time highs but the retail public isn't enamored.

I make it out to the Vegas expo every year or two but mainly to check out Vegas and for meetups outside the event. I met Spydertrader one year and a bunch of others from ET. That was fun.

5. bruno39

bruno39

I was theret the ny show... yes very disappointed, all bigger firms. I was interested in some smaller services and strategies.... They must price the smaller firms out.. That was my first time attending the show

6. If one believes that the need will always exist for a venue where traders and vendors can exchange ideas and services then what you and Baron have just described is what I call a Business Opportunity....pure and simple....for a strong competitor who can do it bigger and better. Good ole fashioned american capitalism...

7. zdreg

zdreg

the show is an opportunity to ask questions, a lost art.

8. Yannis

Yannis

I asked one of the vendors why so few participants... He pointed to a couple of the large booths and said that big companies have been gobbling up smaller players, classic market consolidation pattern, and that takes the enthusiasm out of the event.

9. kandlekid

kandlekid

I definitely saw a marked difference this year vs last. I went to see NinjaTrader to ask about NT 8, but they were not there (as well as many other vendors).