New York Traders Expo

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by NUTSNEAL, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Live Trading Challenge

Round 3:

John Carter
    Trade the Markets
    vs.
    Tom Sosnoff
    Think or Swim
    For these two traders, they didn't really do too much during the afternoon session (they caught the lunch-time lull, so nobody really expected that much).

John showed his scalping system (won't go into it here), Think or Swim showed their E-mini pairs trading/arbitrage methodology (I honestly don't have enough experience with the concept, its risk/reward parameters, or how a trader really implements it in real-time to speak on it intelligently). Something about 1 ES contract = 2 NQ contracts was what I took away from THAT discussion.

So this ended up being more of an overall converation about trading directionally, vs non-directionally, the strengths and weaknesses of each approach so-forth-and-so-on. They did a good of introducing the concepts in an hour considering the fact that it actually takes years to learn and master any concept. So I'll give them that much.

The trading was just OK, I was more intrested in getting water for and talking to the lady next to me. :D
    Conclusion

John Carter: +100.00 dow e-mini

Tom Sosnoff: I couldn't figure-out his PnL, the platform was pretty sophisitcated, and he kept taking trades to illustrate the futures pairs trading concept, not so much to make money.

Draw

#31     Feb 19, 2008
  2. Wow, sorry to hear that ... there were several guys who definitely had systems that were conceptually sound, KISS and I know that for anyone who traded them, they would make money.

But his wasn't one of them. It was just kind of well, confusing and boring at the same time - you know what I mean.

Not so much flaming as warning folks here.

#32     Feb 19, 2008
  3. Mandel....,
    again, thanks for sharing.

#33     Feb 19, 2008
  4. nkhoi

nkhoi

they shouldn't hold contest during the lunch time.
    1) no trade
    2) people rather eat than watch the backs of the contestants.

#34     Feb 19, 2008
  5. The person who offered the most at the Expo was Spydertrader.
    He wasn't even part of the expo.
    The guy shows up with a laptop loaded with days of material to review, and just invited anyone who was interested to join him full a full day.
    He gave at least 8 hours of his time going over all the material in his threads.
    I had attended Saturday and it was quieter than past years. Maybe it was the first day and they were still setting up, not sure.
    One good thing, had a chance to meet quit a few from ET and it was a real pleasure. Some really great people.

#35     Feb 19, 2008
  6. Right before lunch, Sosnoff traded live and put on about 40 new positions, lots of 10 lot and more options, spot currency and futures.

He was up as I recall over $1,000 net by the time lunch came around not that he was not trading for a daily positive P/L. These were mostly March expiration positions.

His style seems very discretionary and non-technical.

He did reveal, when questioned that he plays relative strength arb (as a previous poster mentioned), but even there, when asked about entry and exit, target and stops he says: no targets and no stops and justs exits his futures arb whenever. Pretty vague (not meant as a criticism on my part)

I think he's a top notch pro overall and I seem to learn some stuff from him by osmosis but damn its hard to actually articulate his edge.

The other guy was your very run of the mill technical analysis, support/resistance and pivots kinda trader. Smart and funny but not my kind of thing.

#36     Feb 19, 2008

7. sosnoff is a hyper intellectual, super bright and ultra perceptive. the guy's intuitive depth is absolutely uncanny and actually somewhat disconcerting when you first converse with him----- he is the highlight of the expo. if ever anyone here gets a chance to speak with him, i HIGHLY reccomend it.

best,

surf

#37     Feb 19, 2008

8. Thanks for the highlights. sorry i missed it!

wonder if it will end up on youtube?? (hint)

surf

#38     Feb 19, 2008
  9. chartie

chartie

Couldn’t agree any more on Zalesky’s interpretation of MP and P/V, and his reasoning on trading the Bonds and Oil. His 3-2-1 approach seems simple, yet powerful (not I’ve trialed it, mind you :) )

Didn’t go see any live trading challenge but saw Dan Gramza’s last year. His setups were mainly focused on the candlestick patterns and multi-time frames. He was very confident, a good trader, speaker and educator.

BTW/FYI, there’re plenty of webcasts at moneyshow.com (go to TRADERS > Webcasts > On-Demand).

Enjoy, and see ya next year :cool:

#39     Feb 19, 2008
  10. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

For awhile we worked with Doug and his partner Jeff when they where eLocaltrading. Both Jeff and Doug are standup guys with experiance alot of integrity. I had went looking for eLocals site some time ago and could not find it, I'm glad to see Doug is still around.

#40     Feb 20, 2008