New York Traders Expo

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by NUTSNEAL, Jan 28, 2008.

1. i like kathy lien and her new book is quite good. highly reccomend it for new FX traders and others interested.

please let us know how the live trading demo went, very curious if thats a flop or interesting.

surf

#21     Feb 18, 2008
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

RealTick is on the way out with their expensive platform.

I came for PeakPro's presentation on SCT platform. For casual walk-in the interface will looks over complicate and hard to learn, I saw some leaving as soon as they saw the platform, maybe they should have stick with how to draw a single channel next time. For me, not enough meat, maybe a specific setup which yields some eye popping result was what I looked for.

#22     Feb 18, 2008

3. i remember when realtick had a huge booth in the middle and gave out polo shirts..those were the days!

boston tech, sponsored the free drink tickets, wonder if this is how it was funded? disclaimer-- found this on net, not vouching for accuracy or reality of document, potentially photoshopped but quite interesting if not

[​IMG]

source http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread.php?t=70582

#23     Feb 18, 2008
  4. ram

ram

I finally got to see Linda Raschke 15 years after I read about her in the Market Wizards book. Today she gave her first free presentation since I started attending the NY Expo. Phenomenal lady.

#24     Feb 18, 2008
  5. thank you all for sharing(specially, Mandel).
    please continue and share some pics if have taken any, most importantly some details about anything good learned, like the "volume" presentation/approach.

#25     Feb 19, 2008
  6. Bob Fulks who is the programer for the Felton Trading OTTO system is suppose to give a talk about automated trading at the expo.

#26     Feb 19, 2008
  7. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

This is the first NY Expo I have missed, how was it? What was the tone like? Who where most of the vendors? What type of trader was there? I just talked to Toni and she said that the presentation she gave for some FX place had over 500 people at it.

#27     Feb 19, 2008
  8. Live Trading Challenge

Round 1:

Bennett McDowell
    Applied Reality Trading "A.R.T."
    vs.
    John Netto
    One Shot, One Kill
    John started the session off in a crude oil trade before the ES session even opened (9:30am ET). His charts were simple and very clear, and he showed his DOM as he was trading ... he essentially hit the ground running.

Bennett discussed his A.R.T. system, (which includes Elliot Waves and Triangles -- I wasn't really a fan though ... and he later proved to be theorist as the trading session wore on) and was the trading the S&P e-mini's.

John continued to explain in detail his order entry process, trade management and psychology while in a live trade (not the easiest thing to do). He was all about action, Bennett was way too talkie, and kept talking about Wave C and B and stuff like that, and neither the announcer nor the audience really had a clue of what he was talking about.

After putting some nice green on the screen, the announcer, clearly favoring John, asked him "How long or how much money did it take him to learn how to trade like that?", his reply was "It took a lot of pain" ... :p

Bennett eventually took a trade, but his explanation of his system was so convoluted and imcoprehensible I never saw it, and he eventually closed it at a loss, but I couldn't even tell you wether it was a Long or Short trade! (when the announcer/moderator asked him how much he loss, his reply was "2% of my account", I'm telling you, this guy was drawing blanks across the board).

As the trading session wore on (I think each trading challenge was for approx 1 hour, 15 mins) John continued to explain the reasoning behind his trades (uses a combo of TA/psychology, he KISS) and showed how, so long as he had more wins than losses, and he took more profit from the wins than losses from the losers, he was going to be able to make money consistently in the markets ... :cool:

Bennett continued to explain his elliot wave/triangle theory, (using a customized setup of Quote Tracker - sorry QT people, but he made the software look bad) people were confused and bored (no flames here, the people around me were commenting) and eventually he turned around and asked the audience whether he should short the market or not after it had dropped by about 5 pts ... :D
    Conclusion

Bennett McDowell: -2% on his account trading the ES e-mini

John Netto: +300 and change, trading small lots on the crude e-mini

John wins by a knockout!

#28     Feb 19, 2008
  9. nkhoi

nkhoi

last year , same contest same guys but no trade so I skipped it this time, Bennett 's method is probl the most boring method in the world.

#29     Feb 19, 2008
  10. Live Trading Challenge

Round 2:

Dan Gramza
    Gramza Capital Management
    vs.
    John Person
    Trading Triggers University
    Both traders are knowledgeable, experienced traders and use a multi-time frame reference.

John was very well spoken and didn't hesitate to use the opportunity to explain his methodology. Dan is was more quiet and focused in his approach, mainly focusing on his setups and taking care of business on the screen (he also introduced me to "soybeans", yum! - I think they're ZSH8 for anyone who wants a bite).

John was shaken out of his initial trade (short @ 11:00am or so) at breakeven (even though it was a good one) partially because Dan took the other side of the trade, and he entered his position late (they were setting up).

Dan, though the quiet one, was clearly the house favorite and was pretty good/;solid at domesontrating his intra-day trading technique.

FTR, if John had stayed in his short trade he would have been the hands-down winner ... but if Dan had gotten into his soybean trade when he wanted to he would have broke the bank, and taken the win anyway ... so you gotta take these "live trading competitions" thing with a grain of salt, as is, but this was by far the best of the bunch.

Dan also correctly noted the role tha tvolume plays in terms of market acceptance or rejection of price, a little extra sweetness to the punch.

Also Dan's closing comments were to simply trade your edge and see trading as a business decision, just get-out of the way of your system and let it do the lifting (same concept as using your legs when lifting a heavy weight).

This one was fun!
    Conclusion

John Person: +17.00 es and ty e-minis

Dan Gramza: -100 and change, trading small lots on the ES e-mini and Soybeans

Dan wins on the technicals

#30     Feb 19, 2008