New York Traders Expo.....February 2008

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by 2ez, Nov 24, 2007.

1. gaj

gaj

the hotel you want to look at is the portland square hotel, so which is one of those budget hotels, relative to the rest of the city. the caveat is you'll probably have a shared bathroom. it's about 2-3 blocks away. if you're not concerned about that price, or don't want to share a bathroom, check on the west side a few blocks over (go away from 5th avenue), and once upon a time the hotels down in the financial district were relatively cheap on weekends because the area was dead; it's changed a bit now, however.

newark?? hotel?? you'll pay a bunch for the "revitalized downtown" newark hotel, and your commute is as such:

public path train (like subway) - no problem with the ride itself - from newark to world trade center, then switching from WTC to the subway which is there, then a 5-10 minute walk when you get off the subway. a 60 minute commute each way. (or if you do newark ->JSQ -> 33 -> walk from there, it's about the same length of time).

secaucus or fort lee, unless you've got a car, is much less expensive but unless you've got a car, a bit of a pain as well. it's a holiday weekend, buses run a LOT less frequently. with no traffic (ie. sunday) and early you're talking about 25 minute drive, + finding a parking lot.

jersey city (near the path trains) would be your best budget alternative, i don't think the hoboken hotel is finished and it's likely expensive. i also think weehawken's hotel is expensive, though i can't remember, though they DO have the nj waterway ferry to 39th st, and you can take their local bus (or walk) to get closer to the expo.

but newark? i wouldn't reco that at all.

#21     Nov 26, 2007
  2. gaj

gaj

oh, i may be going again, not sure. usually, i was going to find another brokerage allowing me to short cheap stocks, but i've got my plate full of them now.

john carter was good last year, but if i go this year, i think i'll wear something minorly distinctive (and stated in advance) so that people can find me, or vice versa.

#22     Nov 26, 2007
  3. gaj gave some good advice here. I went to New York a few years ago and decided to stay in Jersey, because you could save a lot. I can't remember where I stayed, but I think it was Marriott. Great hotel for a fraction of manhattan prices.

#23     Nov 26, 2007

4. ahhh, shared bathrooms? no offense, but are you kidding?

jersey city? the hyatt regency at 2-400.00 a night maybe or take your chances in the ghetto--might as well be in manhattan at 3 bills or if your lucky 2 or so.

newark is the choice--- 70-90.00 per night for 3.5 star nice hotels. airport area not downtown.

you haven't been in manhattan for awhile, have you?

surf

#24     Nov 26, 2007
  5. gaj

gaj

#25     Nov 26, 2007
    #26     Nov 26, 2007
  7. cstfx

cstfx

re: Jersey City hotels

Hotels in the Newport/Exchange Place area are not "ghetto". Plus it is 5-10 minute Path ride (for those that don't know, subway under the river) to NYC.

List:

Candlewood Inn
    Hyatt
    Marriott
    Double Tree
    Westin (under construction but may be open by then)

Also, alternative to hotel is corp housing firms Oakwood and Furnished Quarters in residential condo/rental buildings. Intended for monthly stays they also offer nightly if in a pinch.

You can find these on the web and get good rates now.

#27     Nov 26, 2007
  8. 2ez

2ez

Another city is Weehawken, NJ. There is a bus and ferry to midtown.

#28     Nov 26, 2007
  9. gaj

gaj

#29     Nov 26, 2007
  10. RedDuke

RedDuke

Surf,

I am a bit surprised. You have been trading for handful of years and you do not want to pay for convenience of staying in the city. Why?

Regards,
    redduke

#30     Nov 26, 2007