New York IB Salaries

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Dinolovin, May 30, 2008.

Annual Salary

1. 60,000 - 69,999

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. 70,000 - 79,999

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. 80,000 - 89,999

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. 90,000 - 99,999

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. I work at a large IM firm in California and am planning to move to New York by the end of the year b/c my wife is going to school in Manhattan. What type of salary should a OTC derivatives trade processor (settlements/trade booking) with 3 years experience expect in NY? Any advise trom people in the industry would be great! Thanks!

2. Korchnoi

Korchnoi

neither will you without multiple offers (read bids). i'd guess there's at least a 20% chance you fall out of the ranges you've listed.

3. Very true...I already have multiple interested parties. Just wanted to know what is reasonable/unreasonable for NY. Thanks though!

4. Hyudra

Hyudra

prob around 80k-90k plus 20-50% bonus. also that is if ur manager level.

5. Thanks for the response Hyudra. A little higher than I thought...must be because of the cost of living. Anybody else agree/disagree?

6. 2ez

2ez

and Bonus' are taxed 50% in NY

7. So in conclusion I assume all trade processors in NYC should make 77,500.00 USD or your getting screwed?

8. You got 3 yrs experience, and want to work for a NYC IB for under 100K?

I got 1 yr experience and have offers from hedge funds/IBs for 80K for tech positions (the one I'm trying to take right now is for arbitrage technology), and that money's barely enough, and I'm single. (And I'm contributing 0 to a 401k/IRA)

Good luck supporting a wife in Manhattan w/ under 100K salary.

9. Here's a linke to the backpage ... an apartment locating service also available at www.villagevoice.com.

You should:

1. Start pricing aparments.
    2. Add in the price of a garage and parking if you plan on driving around the city.
    3. Add in food and entertainment.
    4. Don't forget your special needs if you have a pet.
    5. Make sure you also have all of your benefits covered.
    6. On top of that are the student loans your wife will incur.
    8. You can add-in anything I left out ...

Demoship is correcty, it's going to be an expensive proposition maintaining a family with just your income in a quality environment.

GL

10. If you're under 100K, you shouldn't bother pricing parking for a car, you won't have a car.

Trust me, it's for the best. If you work in manhattan and live in manhattan, it's NOT WORTH HAVING A CAR, all it's going to do is cost you $500 a month for parking and insurance and you'll get very little usage out of it.

I'd also avoid having a pet, a lot of places dont allow pets, and a lot of places will charge you to keep a pet.

#10     May 31, 2008