New York Fed Intervenes In Currency Markets

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by PocketChange, Mar 18, 2011.

1. There must be some new LTCM's floating around that need a FED lifejackect.

#11     Mar 18, 2011
  2. Fade this bullshit intervention into the free markets. I don't care how many central banks are involved. Fade them into irrelevancy.

#12     Mar 18, 2011
  3. Where have you ever seen a free market, or anything just remotely resembling to it?
    Surely not in the currency markets.
    Get real.
    Free market is just a another utopy, the same way as communism is one.

#13     Mar 18, 2011
  4. Isn't the decision to intervene made by the Treasury secretary? NYFed just executes...

#14     Mar 18, 2011
  5. olias

olias

exactly. Such a basic concept but we still have to hear all this squawking about 'I thought we have a free market!'

....boy it gets tiring

#15     Mar 18, 2011
  6. blnbr

blnbr

Looks like the big bank hunted massive amount of sell stops and pushed the price to a new all-time low before they "intervene" :cool:

#16     Mar 18, 2011
  7. blnbr

blnbr

I just tried several times to post a 2011-03-16 U/J price chart to show the stop triggering. But the picture failed to post. Why is that? :mad:

#17     Mar 18, 2011
  8. You need to look at the Nikkei too.. Hit a few limit down circuit breakers which might have contributed to the currency play.

#18     Mar 18, 2011
  9. telozo

telozo

If you read through, is not that clear cut:

INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS

The New York Fed, representing the Federal Reserve System and the U.S. Treasury, also is responsible for intervening in foreign exchange markets to achieve dollar exchange rate policy objectives and to counter disorderly conditions in foreign exchange markets. Such transactions are made in close coordination with the U.S. Treasury and Board of Governors, and most often are coordinated with the foreign exchange operations of other central banks. Dollars are sold in exchange for foreign currency if the goal is to counter upward pressure on the dollar. If the objective is to counter downward pressure, dollars are purchased through the sale of foreign currency.

I don't see any upward or downward pressure on the dollar. Why does the fed care about the yen?

#19     Mar 18, 2011
  10. lol exactly. The topic should be changed to "life isn't fair"

#20     Mar 18, 2011