new virus

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Free Thinker, Jan 26, 2004.

1. 19:22 ET New virus spreading rapidly across Internet : CNET News reports that a new mass-mailing computer virus has gained a foothold in a large number of PCs by masquerading as an e-mail error. The virus--known as MyDoom, Novarg and as a variant of the Mimail virus by different antivirus firms--arrives in an in-box with one of several different random subject lines such as "Mail Delivery System," "Test" or "Mail Transaction Failed." The body of the e-mail contains an executable file and a statement such as: "The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary attachment. In one hour, Network Associates itself received 19,500 e-mails bearing the virus from 3,400 unique Internet addresses, Gullotto said. One large telecommunications company had already shut down its e-mail gateway to stop the virus... (Briefing.com note: Watch for potential price reaction in Security software firms such as SYMC, NET, SNWL, ISSX, TMIC).

2. pspr

pspr

I've been getting those all afternoon in my spam box. Just an annoyance unless you open the attachment.

3. Just got one so far.

4. Momento

Momento

damn...
    I think I viewed an email of this sort this afternoon... but without downloading any execution files, will I be infected still?

thanks for headup vhehn

5. They are son of bitches all guilty of plotting security threat such as virus and attacks. IMO, soon they will get prosecuted.

6. No. But if you are, we're in the same boat.

7. I have to agree with the "sons of bitches" part. Other than that I guess its just more of the same crap from some pimply faced nerd in a bathrobe somewhere. These things have cost me money and time in the past and if I had the opportunity, I believe I would be tempted to kick someone's ass. Thank you, Steve46

8. I got one like it in my yahoo inbox with the exception that it titled "Read Me".zip