New Videocard: PCie 16x, 128 bit, DH, passive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bernard111, Feb 12, 2007.

1. I'm still with this card, just asking for a natural upgrade path for 2-D financial applications.

Also, out of curiosity; which nvidia drivers are you using? the certified WHQL 93.71 or 84.26 or...?

#11     Feb 14, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

You've already got the best card going. None better. So, anything you add is at best going to be equal... maybe less.... maybe even driver conflict...

#12     Feb 14, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

I don't think there is any such thing as "natural upgrade"... you've already got the best card going for trading.

I have no driver installed... using only the WinXP library driver. If you install one, suggest you go with what the website recommends.. which is the 84.26, last time I checked.

#13     Feb 14, 2007
  4. 84.26 in fact is the one offered using the nvidia web site but strangely also the 93.71 shows Quadro NVS 285 compatibility in the list of supported cards.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/93.71_winxp_32_supported.html
    :confused:

#14     Feb 14, 2007
  5. gnome

gnome

The 93.71 would probably also work for you. If not, just install the 84.26

#15     Feb 14, 2007
  6. cmaxb

cmaxb

I run two on dual pci-e motherboard. Scrolling charts is quicker, and things seem snappier than through pci.

#16     Feb 14, 2007
  7. Yes, clearly PCIe x16 is faster than the 'old' PCI. New PCIe 2.0 will be faster, too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

#17     Feb 15, 2007
  8. notouch

notouch

There are some guys on this forum who seem to think that for the ultimate trading "workstation" you need to buy budget, end-of-line or used graphics cards from ebay.

The GeForce 7600 GS is an excellent, quiet and reasonably priced dual dvi card. Two of them work great for a 4 monitor set up.

#18     Feb 15, 2007
  9. gnome,

I have another PC that still uses a Matrox P650 PCIe 16x 128.
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/finent/products/pseries/p650pcie.php

How can run a test with a program that checks 2D features (we need performance on a DOM screen or at least normal bar charts -- not 3D) that could help me to evaluate the fastest videocard between a Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 and the Matrox P650 PCIe 128 and so eventually eliminate the Matrox and upgrade to the NVS285 also for this PC?

:confused:

#19     Mar 10, 2007
  10. bighog

bighog Guest

I would stick with NVS. For trading in 2-D you want a quiet box. Next box is going to have passive Xeon chips, passive vid card, passive chipsets. I even decided to drop the plans for SCSI 15k for a quieter 10k raptor from WD. wailing for the new intel chips of 45nm, new chipsets for the chip, new PCIE 2.0, and maybe FB (fully buffered) DDR3 memory.

Next 6 or 9 months should see some new stuff to came out. Works out good enough to wait for Vista to come out with first service pack before i upgrade.

PS, nice BIG box with a couple QUIET 120 low spinners for case fans, those smaller 80 sized fans need to spin to fast ... QUIET is for me. speed yes, also. New 45nm chips will be faster than Woodcrest chips now.

#20     Mar 11, 2007