New video card or new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by street carp, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Sunggong,
    What are the specs of the CPU you're using now? Is that x1950pro AGP, and what card did you upgrade from? I'm afraid if I only upgrade the video card I'll still have 100% CPU usage spikes and all the freezing. But I'm getting by OK by using two computers.

#61     Nov 13, 2007
  2. I've ordered all the parts to build a quad-core system. It should be built next week sometime and I'll update with the results.

#62     Nov 19, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

What video cards are you using on the new rig?

#63     Nov 19, 2007
  4. A dual-DVI 8600GT that will cost $103 AR.

#64     Nov 19, 2007
  5. Ok but that's a gaming card.So you won't be able to manage your displays appropiately.

#65     Nov 19, 2007
  6. Sorry for the late reply.

I'm running AMD dual core 4200+ with 3GB RAM.

My CPU usage level never goes above 30% even when the EliteTrader is super busy, ever since I got the new video card.

So I think Intel quad core is definitely an overkill since my CPU doesn't even compare to yours. :D

#66     Nov 19, 2007
  7. I've got no problem using old AGP cards like nVidia FX5900XT and ATI xt850XT. I can easily rotate, change resolutions, change positions, extend, clone, or whatever I need to do.

I'm only using two monitors. I don't think this newer card will be a problem.

#67     Nov 19, 2007
  8. In less than a year this quad-core will be less than mainstream.:eek: Right now two cores would be more than adequate, but who knows what additional program(s) I'll be running tomorrow.

Is your system AGP or PCI-E?

#68     Nov 19, 2007
  9. Last Friday I built the new computer and am using it right now. So far the problems are history. CPU usage hardly even spikes past 30% where I was getting 100% before (on heavily traded symbols). All four cores seem to be spreading out the load even though I highly doubt ScottradeElite is written for multi-core. Java isn't freezing anymore during times of extreme price movement and heavy trading.

Here's what I ended up getting:

Q6600 2.4 Ghz processor (OCed to 3.2Ghz on stock Intel heatsink)
    Abit IP35 Pro motherboard
    PCPower&Cooling 610W Silencer PSU
    Seagate 250GB SATA 16mb hard drive (a 2nd 320GB Seagate for more storage on the way)
    2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2800 (2 more GB on the way.)
    MSI GeForce FX8600GT PCIE (going to return since I got a good deal on an 8800GT on order.)
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU heatsink/fan (on the way)

The 8600GT works fine. (But is too loud so I don't recommend it.) Both it and the 8800GT are definitely overkill for trading like many have said. Any modern $40 card surely would be enough. But I am going play some games on this computer since I'm not planning on getting a console any time soon.

Thanks again for everyones help.

#69     Nov 26, 2007