New video card or new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by street carp, Oct 31, 2007.

1. But the Router I bought, which is to share the cable internet for the two systems, will also serve to connect the computers to each other, i.e. for file sharing, & mouse/keyboard sharing. (Even though I can build a computer I don't know much about networking.)

Edit: I was refering to AAA's quote, but is that what you said in your last sentence, gnome?

(Sharing the mouse/keyboard is important for those times I need to change things on both systems quickly instead of fumbling for different mice/keyboards.)

#51     Nov 7, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

1. Right. You don't need to have the computers physically connected to each other to share files. You can do that through the network.

2. To use only 1 keyboard and mouse, you'll need to physically connect the computers and use something like Synergy or a KVM switch. 2 keyboards and mice are better, IMO.

#52     Nov 7, 2007
  3. Alright, thanks then. I'll try to get used to two mice/keyboards before I try Synergy.

Thanks to all for helping me solve this problem.

Matt

#53     Nov 7, 2007
  4. You could also use 1 keyboard (via switch) and 2 mice. Depends on your setup, but most don't need a keyboard for 90% of the time.
    That setup works ok here.
    Since I use quick orderentry through the keyboard sometimes, I can't wait for the keyboard to be switched on time, so I also have a Nostromo n52 connected to my Buttontrader system and programmed for orderentry. Fabulous tool.

#54     Nov 8, 2007
  5. raid-0 is the most worthless storage technology out there. in enterprise situations where speed is paramount, raid-5 or 6 is used; no one uses 0.

raid-0 is barely any faster than a single drive.

#55     Nov 8, 2007
  6. Whatever...

Using SiSoftware Sandra as a diagnostic utility I found it doubled the performance of a single drive.

But try PCMark05 or HD Tech, you'll find the same result.

#56     Nov 9, 2007
  7. I've got both my computers running with the router and this fixes the problem completely. The ScottradeElite computer gets 100% CPU usage spikes, but doesn't freeze itself. The Java computer barely reaches 50% spikes, if ever.

I'm gonna buy a new system anyway soon; I gotta say I have to be able to use just one keyboard/mouse when I trade since I do day trade. I'm pretty sure a more up to date computer with faster speeds and multiple cores will be able to handle all of this and more on its own.

But I did learn that the video card was not the problem and I saved myself the expense of trying to upgrade it. Thanks for everyone's help, gnome, AAA...

Matt

#57     Nov 9, 2007
  8. gnome

gnome

Sounds like ScottElite wasn't written very well.

#58     Nov 10, 2007
  9. who cares about silly benchmark programs? use a stopwatch and real world tests, and you'll find what i and others have found: raid-0 is nearly worthless. you'll get 0-10% improvement.

raid-0 is for suckers.

#59     Nov 13, 2007
  10. This is so true.

I actually HAD to upgrade my video card to prevent slowdowns in fast markets, like the one the original poster was describing.

For some reason, Elite software, the way it updates/displays data, requires decent video card to effectively handle fast changing Level II / Totalview bid/ask windows when you have many of them open.

No slowdowns at all with ATI x1950pro card operating two monitors. (This is kind of overkill I thought initially, but apparently the software requires some video juice.)

#60     Nov 13, 2007