New video card or new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by street carp, Oct 31, 2007.

1. I don't understand the "Internet Explorer" requirement since ScottradeElite runs as its own program, but you know, I logged in with Internet Explorer 7 later in the trading session instead of with Firefox and it seemed to be going smoother (The Java Charts anyway). However, this was near the end of the day and it's usually the beginning of trading when the problems happen.

Thanks for showing me that! I'll be back tomorrow with results good, bad, or neutral.

Matt

#41     Nov 6, 2007
  2. How many TotalView or Lev II windows are open at a time? How much RAM?

I am assuming this is more than just a lagging quotes problem, since you said the whole thing freezes. Are you sure it is not some sort of software glitch with the platform? All platforms will lag quotes on occasion in my experience. Most daytrade-oriented platforms will show you how much they are lagging, so you don't have to guess. I like to have two or three broker platforms up at a time so I can compare and make sure one is not lagging or stuck.

#42     Nov 6, 2007
  3. 2 x 1GB CL2 Patriot Ram running in dual channel @ the rated 400Mhz. I've also tested both modules on several occasions because originally I had to RMA a bad one. The video card is 256GB, 256-bit DDR3.

It's only two windows of TotalView. I also have just 4 Java streaming charts with up to 20 stocks on a watch list, but these only show bid/ask/high/low/vol, etc.

#43     Nov 6, 2007
  4. Before I take the plunge into a new computer I am going to try the dual computer idea that gnome and sandygray have suggested. I just ordered this 3Com 3CR858 router:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833105049

...and I went to the Synergy/SourceForge page to learn about sharing a mouse/keyboard. Here's two extremely noobish questions about that:

1. The computers have to be connected physically by a cable for this to occur, right, and one has to be the server? What cable are we talking about? Ethernet? Do I just install PCI network adapter cards and connect them?

2. Which Synergy program am I downloading: Binaries, Experimentals, or Sources?

Maybe I should start a separate thread for this one...

Thanks everyone for all the help so far. This is truly giving me a headache. I kind of regret not saying f*** it from the start and just buying a new computer...but then there's the possible headache of install problems, RMA's, and the new computer not even fixing the problem.

Matt

#44     Nov 6, 2007
  5. Sorry I wasn't clearer, RAID 5 allows for one or more hard drives to fail (depending on how many you have. ie. 4 drives will allow 2 to fail and 3 drives will allow 1 to fail) and STILL be fully operational. The other benefit is that SCSI raid has a higher performance. In part because there IS a separate controller for scsi (on some motherboards scsi is on board so it doesnt have to be another card)

most people IMHO dont need a scsi setup. At the same time what is the cost of your system going down for a few days or having to spend hours getting another system fully loaded with your software and default trading setttings?? THAT answer should be your guide as to what to do.

For me?? a fully loaded quad monitor DELL workstation(SATA drives, not scsi but I have backups of my easylanguage I use) for running tradestation and another computer for executing trades via IB is MY answer. for someone else, it may mean a laptop and wireless internet.

regardless of your choices, I wish all here the best in trading.

#45     Nov 7, 2007
  6. This was why I was laughing. You say that most people don't need it, you yourself don't have it, but the OP needs it. Because his Java windows are locking up?

With WD Raptors, in my opinion, giving the performance of SCSI, there is little need for a trader to use SCSI. If you have the money then knock yourself out. They're cool and they're fast. I have four in one of my rigs in R.A.I.D. 0.

I also disagree with your statement about R.A.I.D. 5, but it didn't make me laugh. 5 is a nice compromise between 0 and 1. If stability (your word) is what you are after then R.A.I.D. 1 is the epitome. 0 is the fastest, but you get no parity so 5 is a nice compromise.

Peace.

#46     Nov 7, 2007
  7. I think using multiple PCs is definitely the way to go. Instead of screwing around like you're suggesting, just attach a router to your cable modem and run both computers off it. Using one PC as a primary and the other as a secondary will work, but the cable is called a crossover. It is like an ethernet cable only the connections are reversed.

#47     Nov 7, 2007
  8. The router part and sharing the internet connection I get. That's why it's ordered.

The thing I'm asking about is sharing a mouse/keyboard between the two. The router is for internet connection only, right? Or if both computers are attached to the router is this all the connection I need to share the mouse/keyboard? (Hope this makes sense)

Matt

#48     Nov 7, 2007
  9. Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought it was in lieu of router. I don't really see the point of sharing mouse/keyboard. The whole idea of two computers is to avoid issues and keep the system clean.

#49     Nov 7, 2007
  10. gnome

gnome

I may not have this right... but this arrangement has both computers directly connnected to each other, with the only the primary connected to the router (the secondary connects through the primary).. right?

Another way is to use a standard patch cable (instead of a crossover) and connect each computer to the router individually. Then run part of your stuff on one, part on the other. No primary/secondary, both equals.

#50     Nov 7, 2007