New Treo Phone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steve46, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Thanks SpyderT:

I am inclined to wait as I believe these gadgets are generally way overpriced.

Also, I would not be interested in the camera feature as I already have a Nikon that works well. Unfortunately the Nikon folks haven't figured out yet that putting in a feature that allows you to send the photo elsewhere would bring in big sales. That feature appeals to me. As it stands, if I want to send my photo to another person I have to go home, download, put it in an email and send it manually. Oh well.

I like the Microsoft OS part. But because the screen is relatively small I am not under the illusion that I can do much with it.

What does impress me is the voice recognition. I have seen that demonstrated. The ability to ask the phone to do things including take and file notes, without having to take it off your belt is a good thing for me to have as I tend to be forgettful of appointments and instructions to "bring home a quart of milk".
    This machine will when asked recite your appointment calender for whatever time period you ask and make new appointments by voice. Pretty cool.

All in all I am on the fence but tend toward waiting. It is after all $700.....Geez, does anyone remember when a Volkswagon was $1500 bucks!!! I do.

I am going to have to put on one of my famous "3 lot trades" and hold for more than 2 points. I just don't know if it is possible..:D

Thanks for your comments

Steve

#11     Feb 6, 2006
  2. the issue with any MS based handheld is battery life. for some reason the microsoft operating system just eats massive battery power. i had a compaq pocket PC and MS based smart phone, both lasted less than an hour after a full charge--- and even used tons of battery in stand by mode--lasting less than 3 hours in standby. totally unuseable unless you are jacking juice from your car or wall.

conversely, i use the palm treo 650 and batteries seem to last for hours and hours in use .

portable net access--- i have found these guys ###### snapdialer program excellent. it allows you to use your free data to access the web on your phone without paying for special web access.

surfer

#12     Feb 6, 2006
  3. WD40

WD40

4. hi steve, i have the verizon broadband service for my laptop for traveling or even when i go to lunch. it has saved me many times especially when i would go to a certain location thinking the hotel etc had broadband in their facility. and verizon really did the job. was able to trade the whole day. very fast, not quite as fast as cable but very good.

#14     Feb 7, 2006
  5. Thanks Pat:

Looks like I will go that way as well. Continued good luck to you.

Also regarding the Treo 700. I learned today that the product still has some software being developed for it. Apparently if you use a Bluetooth earpiece, it won't (as of today anyway) respond to vocal commands to phone a specific number or establish a note file. Apparently Microsoft is working on last minute patches for this.

Steve

#15     Feb 7, 2006