New Trading System - Input Please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scubasid, May 1, 2020.

1. i understand

#21     May 2, 2020
  2. "Don't buy an i7 but pay $600 a month for internet".
    lol fuck off , blocked, don't care what else you have to say on anything.

I should say I am highly biased against AMD from like 15 years ago. I stick with intel for my builds.
    If I was building something I would go with i7-3770 Ivy Bridge. $170 on newegg right now. You don't need more than Ivy Bridge. There is always the best bang for the buck Intel CPU in this price range.

Then $70 bucks for 16 gigs of ram. It makes no sense to not get i7 and 16 gigs of ram if you are getting a machine right now. It is just a bad deal otherwise.

I feel like my builds always end up being $500-600, I always try to get the most machine for the least cost. The cost beyond that is all in the video card you want.

There is no reason to pay more for something prebuilt unless you can't figure out how to snap some legos together. I mean I am the least mechanical person there is and building a computer is nothing. It shouldn't even be called "building".

#22     May 3, 2020
  3. scubasid

scubasid

I have Free internet - FIBER OPTIC-> CAT 6 Lines through out the House- Cat6 Keystone Jacks with a Gigabit Router- currently down load speeds are : 231.86, Have had only one outage in 3 yrs, Have a Land line and Cell as my backups.
    Again ->>Thanks every one for the feed back>> Diverse Opinions always are good to read.

#23     May 3, 2020
  4. p0box4

p0box4

I recently switched to a gigabit connection, download speed of +900 Mbps. What a difference, lightning fast. However i don't know if it makes much difference for trading as long as you have a stable connection. I use my high speed network for other things.

I can't even remember the last time i had an outage so it doesn't happen often, however with a few $K on the line each trade i don't want to take any risk. My 4G backup only costs $20/month.

Free internet sounds nice though, where do you live?

#24     May 3, 2020
  5. scubasid

scubasid

Charlotte, NC Have no issues with 236 Mps Downloads- Probably could up grade to a higher Mps-Then I woul dhave to $$$Pay - This current speed is working quite well. ( I do not do video or games- when done with trading for day I rarely touch a computer )- couldnt imagine what 900Mps would be if it would make a difference...

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    #25     May 3, 2020
  6. p0box4

p0box4

It doesn't make any difference for trading at all.

Trading doesn't require very high speeds. Other things do.

#26     May 3, 2020
  7. ironchef

ironchef

What about doing analysis, backtesting, simulation, etc.? Took me ~0.5 to 1 hr to run each analysis point/node using a two year old MacBook Pro. That is one reason I spend so much time on ET, I have time to kill waiting for the result.

I run VBA excel.

Thanks.

#27     May 3, 2020
  8. ironchef

ironchef

Do you have any recommendation what used workstation I should buy?

Thank you.

#28     May 3, 2020
  9. ironchef

ironchef

What provider you use, cable or phone line? Local at&t advertises fiber to curb, does that help?

#29     May 3, 2020
  10. Dell T5810, or HP Z440. They are equivalent.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    #30     May 3, 2020
    ironchef likes this.