New Trading Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElectricSavant, Jul 26, 2003.

1. I no longer give trading advice. I am a registered CTA but I resigned, after many changes recently in my life.

FPC .......love is what you need....I do not know if you are in a wheelchair or blind or whatever.......But whatever is bothering you....it can get worse. Enjoy today for today.......all of your wealth and material things can be taken away tomorrow. And no this does not mean to go out and buy a 4k puter. But the let your bitterness go and learn humility. some of the best traders I know have mastered this.....in some of your recent posts you said you never lose. Who are you trying to fool. Why do you antogonize so many? Is this a contest for you to see how long it will take for you to get banned here. You like the fight don't you? Your fingers get sweaty on the keyboard as you furiously type. You live for the fight don't you.

Have you considered therapy.....I know a real good doctor, but you probably would not care to better yourself, because you do not need it....right?

Michael B.

#31     Jul 27, 2003
  2. I thought it was sad that I used Pentium 2 computers to trade with. But with my broadband connection everythig seems to work okay if I do not overload my charts. Now I know of one who uses a Pentium 3.

When I was trading OPM the company I traded for provided me with a Dell Inspiron laptop. It was a quick little P4 with a large screen. I have no problems with Dell. Some say earlier they were a better deal than now. They do not manufacture any of their own parts like Sony. I have heard that Dell's service is not what it used to be either.

Michael B.

#32     Jul 27, 2003
  3. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

I agree here. I'm on my second Dell laptop. I trade and run my business on it, no problems with hardware, just normal MSFT headaches.

#33     Jul 27, 2003
  4. Well....this was disappointing. I was hoping for some more response.

I think I am going to fix my broken notebook even though its a windows98/64mb/pentium2....and use it for chat, squawk and email, if the cost is just a two or 3 hundred hundred. It gets redundant to invest the more money than that even though it is a notebook computer.

My other old notebook I will use for the Java J-trader platform.

I will build my Chart/Datafeed desktop computer. If anyone is interested I can post my progress step by step and the decisions along the way. The cost, where I bought it, reasons why to choose one component over the other. I decided to build this computer as I can still trade by day and start a computer building hobby by night. This will be my first computer I will build. I have always been interested to do this, So here I go.

If nobody posts an interest for this thread I will end it.

Michael B.

#34     Jul 27, 2003
  5. Michael,

Spend you time building your trading skills, not building computers.

VT:)

#35     Jul 27, 2003
  6. This is the Hardware Forum.

I feel it is helpful to have a hobby outside of trading. What a good way to balance ones self. I have always wanted to build a computer from the ground up. If by day I can improve my abilities to trade then I would post on the appropriate forum. And i have and will do so in the future.

But again if there is no interest I will end this.

Michael B.

#36     Jul 27, 2003
  7. Merc

Merc

Totttalyy agree with you.
    I am interested. I am even ready to participate as much as I can, bearing in mind that I am not the computer guru, just an user, probably like you.
    :) :) :)

#37     Jul 27, 2003
  8. Yeah, I know. Just ribbing you a little. I am a computer nut too. Everytime, I have looked into doing this, it was just as economical as buying one already pre-fabbed. Always wanted to build that SUPER COMPUTER.

I just bought a real high power Dell. I use it mostly just for trading. I also own a Dell Laptop. Run my tradestation program on the laptop when I am traveling, but I got to tell you, there's nothing like looking at those big flatscreens. Gives me a feeling of power I think. Good luck.:p

#38     Jul 27, 2003
  9. Thanks guys,

Well....let's deal with New Egg as the supplier. (wish I did not live in California...I could avoid the sales tax)

Lets start with the case and power supply and build out from there.

We want to be able to upgrade every 2 years, so a LARGE, STURDY, ROOMY case will be needed. These base needs will accomplish a cooler longer lasting environment. By paying a little extra now will insure that we will not need to repurchase a new case at each upgrade.

Antec seems like the good choice. The 430 watt true power supply is good. (I have heard that 400 watt would be the minimum to consider) Antec is a name brand and I am confident the $115.00 dollars will be well spent.

The case is big, heavy and noisy with those 3 fans from Antec that come with it. (read the forum at newegg) So I will upgrade with 5 quieter, longer lasting fans to keep everything cool and quieter and toss those 3 fans that come with the case. I have not decided on the fans yet.

Also Antec round cables will be used inside the case to improve airflow and keep everything nice and neat inside. Plastic ties will be used to route everything correctly. I do not know which round cables to order yet there are 4 or 5 choices at newegg and I got to figure out which part number to use with the P4 motherboard.

One thing that is disturbing there is a 2 week return period for faulty power supply..........so we must configure the computer here in this forum complete and I will order everything together with no back order allowed.

My wish list is also published at newegg for the community to view.

ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS1080AMG- with Antec Original TRUE 430W P4 Power Supply ATX12V Retail
    Specifications:
    Case type: SOHO File Server
    Case Color: Antec Metalic Gray
    Case Dimensions: 20.6" x 8.1" x 18.6" (H/W/D)
    Drive bays: 10
    Front accessible 4x 5.25, 2x 3.5" Internal 4x 3.5"
    Expansion Slots: 3 Short 4 Full Length
    2 Rear Standard Fans 1 Side fan
    Washable Air Filter in front

Michael B.

#39     Jul 27, 2003
  10. I think these are the cables.

Antec Cobra A36 UV Activated Round 133 ATA Cable Model 77237 Retail
    Specifications:
    40-pin 80-conductor cable, ATA133/100/66/33 compliant for high speed data transfer
    Highly flexible 36" round cable with two device connections, one motherboard connector.
    Wrapped with nylon mesh plastic tubing for maximum air flow improvement.
    Shielded with aluminum foil and braided silver mesh with ground, for maximum shielding.

Michael B.

#40     Jul 27, 2003