New Trading Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElectricSavant, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Screen Resolution is important for more efficiet screen real estate. I use black backgrounds and LCD is also much easier on the eyes. I like to have the the ES open with 1, 5, 30min charts. NQ, Dow, and NAS are open too. A nice big screen is nice. SOX is nice to have open too. I do not use indicators much, but volume is interesting and I watch some other indicators for confirmation. Is a 2.8 mhz P4 an overkill? Is it the 512mb or 1024 mb Ram all that counts?

Assuming I use a charting program and have several different charts open using multipe periodicities in a fast moving Futures instruments and indexes, what would be the appropriate size of processor and Ram?

If I wanted to try to scalp using my broadband connection is it hopeless and computer speed would not matter? As the Internet is where the bottleneck is?

Anyone.....FPC can you shut up.....with your bonehead comments for a while....you are funny, but it would be nice to hear others. Thanks for contributing to my thread, and I think you are a nice guy or girl, but I just searched your history, and I am convinced you are. Don't try so hard.
    Michael B.

#21     Jul 27, 2003
  2. ``ok, well your a successful wealthy trader,, right??

just buy lastest & greatest,,

whats a few grand to a guy like you,,

cant go wrong,, can ya? :)

#22     Jul 27, 2003
  3. Would you please start a thread....When have you last started a thread with something meaningful to say. Do you only reply to others or are you a leader of sorts.

You really make me laugh at times, and your points are well taken. Your motives, style and attitude are questionable. You are probably a successful trader, and if I knew you personally, I would probably understand you better. Perhaps I need to look into the search function under your name farther back. But don't you think that your recent behaviour could cause newcomers to Elite Trader to be discouraged?

I have no problem with you, and I look forward to your posts, because there is a lot of wisdom there. You do not take the time to explain yourself.

But could you let others contribute, Please? I know I asked you to let me"have it" earlier. and you responded with your remarks. I actually have started to like those quick one-liners you come up with.

FPC, you are great!

Michael B.

#23     Jul 27, 2003
  4. I have a question, When using multiple monitors does windows limit the maximum number of windows one can have open?

Michael B.

#24     Jul 27, 2003
  5. funny thing is,

why should i listen to your trading advice after this lame Q of yours??

if you knew ANYTHING at all, would it really matter if you spent 2 grand or 3 for a puter system? or 4 GRAND for that matter?

what could it possibly matter to a successful trader??

but that is the point, isnt it

:p :p

#25     Jul 27, 2003
  6. It is later...can't sleep. I'm using a dual 256 MB RDRAM p3 600 machine w/dual viewsonics and a matrox video card. This is connected to a DTN satellite receiver to handle a downlink bandwidth of around 400 Kb per second. That machine is for charting and depending on what market and style I will have either 4 charts or 6 charts open at any one time. On the trading computer I have a single p3 533 CPU also w/256 MB SDRAM and one monitor. On this machine I run TWS, NinjaTrader, and the ET chatroom. This is the one connected to the internet. This technology is supported by W2K on the dual machine and Windows XP on this machine. Both computers are Dell. The dual machine was brand new when purchased and the single CPU was purchased from the Dell second hand store. Both machines have worked without problems since May/June of 2000. I have installed one new cooling fan in the dual machine because it runs continuously, except on weekends. I have also installed a much faster modem in that machine for the satellite feed. It still has a modem with which to connect to the internet but I don't use it much. I upgraded the standard RAM from 128 to 256 in the trading machine. That is my equipment list. I have a dialup connection to the internet and can trade what I want, when I want with no delay that makes any difference to my trading.

Bruce:)

#26     Jul 27, 2003
  7. oh gee sys you are my hero,, what a sys,,

BTW what it'll do in the quarter?? 0-60??:p

#27     Jul 27, 2003
  8. FPC,

It does about 330 in the quarter. 0-60 in tenths of a second.

Bruce ;-)

#28     Jul 27, 2003
  9. Yeah

Michael B.

P.S. When I was 18 years old, I got a bonus at work and I took a bunch of my friends out to the local restuarant. I think there were 10 of us. I wanted to do this with my heart. I have never regretted that. If I added up all the money I have wasted in my lifetime, this would not be one of them. The meaning of success comes in so many forms. I know a person who probably has made more money than anybody in this room, but is that really the point. Anyways this guy gave large sums of money to meaningful projects that were important to him. Now he died recently and left a lot of money to his friends and I am sure he would not have regretted that if he were still alive. It's funny if I had thought that the $10.00 I spent on that dinner would have returned so much, then it would have removed the meaning in my heart.

The meaning of things and your heart is important FPC. Your hatred and bitterness does not fool me. Your ability to project this on others is not a problem and many have discovered this about you. I just worry for those in here that truely are hungry for more than you can give them. If your purpose is to degrade, humiliate and antoginize others for what end? is a mystery to me.

My net worth from family, friends or my own trading ability is not a measure of my success. The fact that I am concerned about the cost of my tools and my success are not related. Perhaps I am being too frugel though...but I cannot just throw money to the wind. I never had much money in my lifetime, but I have been very successful, and at my age I contribute to the FY account. Do you know what an FY account is? It's the account that builds your ability to where you can tell everybody to F**** off.

Donald Trump was once interviewed when he was on the Forbes list of richest men in the world. He said that his quest was one of perfection and efficiency. He admitted that he did not just chase dollars. He said when he took over a company he was focused on efficiency. He would strive to make it operate more efficient. Well, he became monetarily successful indirectly. But then came Bill gates and co.....Hey this is the hardware thread.....I can talk about Bill Gates can't I?

One more comment...there is some truth to what you say about me FPC.....My wife says that I jump over one hundred dollar bills to pick up pennies. LOL

#29     Jul 27, 2003
  10. ya, thats what i said didn't i? whahahahaha :p

#30     Jul 27, 2003