New Trader - What should I look in choosing a firm?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Egarim, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Egarim

Egarim

Hi,

I will be graduating in May 2008 from NYU. I have a GPA close to 3.9 with an econ major and math/physics minor. I have been playing poker professionally for the last year, and I have paid my way through college. I believe the qualities and skills that have made me a top poker player translate well to trading. I have absolutely no experience in trading, but trading is something I've always wanted to do. Recently, I have been interviewing a lot with firms, and I have received a lot of interest. I very much want to be a trader, but I am having trouble figuring out which firms are good. I don't know what specific qualities/characteristics I should be looking for in a firm. I was hoping to get input on what I should be looking for when choosing a firm to work for.

Specifically:
    1. What do most people consider to be the best form of trading that translates into success? I have interviewed with firms that provide training with books, videos, audios, etc. In another firm, I would work under a mentor. (I understand that theres no standard for training. I merely was curious to people's opinions)
    2. What type of incentives should I be looking at (i.e. salary vs nonsalary, % of profits kept, etc.), and how much should I factor this into my decision in choosing a firm since I have no trading experience (I am financially stable at the moment thanks to poker)?
    3. What are the advantages/disadvanges of working for a large firm vs a smaller firm?

So far, I've been going through these forums and found a lot of useful information which has helped me greatly. I would appreciate any and all help. Thank you.

2. Egarim

Egarim

sorry accidental double post, ignore this and ill delete as soon as forum lets me.