New trader still learning/demo, very lonely, tried to talk to friends about it

Discussion in 'Trading' started by wtpWTP, Jan 4, 2018.

1. hoffmanw

hoffmanw

Yeah, a lot of successful entrepreneurs spend a great deal of their time alone e.g. Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, George Soros... Trading is no exception just like other endeavors.

#11     Jan 5, 2018
    fordewind and cvds16 like this.
  2. If you want to become unlonely in life, or need alot of social interaction, work at McDonald's or become a therapist, psychologist.

Something, anything, that's directly involved with talking to and looking at people. o_O
    Because alot of analytical fields, like trading, are relatively very lonely. Boring sometimes equates to lonely for some people.

#12     Jan 5, 2018
    cvds16 likes this.
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

If you don't have at least one semester like that, "you're not doing it right."

Your *job* right now is education. You are *building* personal capital.

Don't fuque around: work hard, *play* hard, and work hard some more.

You will *not* regret it.

#13     Jan 5, 2018
    Handle123 likes this.
  4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

The only time I'd felt "jealous" in my whole life, a vicously jealous woman was beating me over the head. Eventually :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: , :finger: , I learned my lesson. :cool: :rolleyes: :D

#14     Jan 5, 2018
  5. trading is a very dry subject to most.. hence why alot of us come to forums.. IRC chats etc..

#15     Jan 5, 2018
    timbo likes this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

IRC? Man you just dated yourself. Wheee! I miss that part of the Internet.

#16     Jan 5, 2018
    wtpWTP and timbo like this.
  7. One truth of trading:

Lonely : if you are not rich, always lose money and still struggling with real life.

Not Lonely : if you are richer than other ordinary traders, like money comes to your pocket automatically.

No BS. Its true.

#17     Jan 5, 2018
    wtpWTP and Handle123 like this.
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

A good 'ol adage comes to mind.

"Opinions are like assholes."

#18     Jan 5, 2018
    wtpWTP likes this.
  9. drcha

drcha

Welcome to trading. Yes, it's a lonely pursuit. Even when you become accomplished and the money starts rolling in and your friends see you quitting your job and spending it, they still won't believe it.

I've got 3 things for you to consider:

1. Keep in mind that trading is essentially a white-collar job. (How so? You use your mind and a computer, you study, you read, you strategize. You are not fixing roofs or flipping burgers.) The fact is that most such jobs are lonely. In my estimation, they are worse than lonely, because you inevitably find that a small but significant fraction of the people you have to work with every day are crazy. You might spend some time in meetings, but mostly you're at your own box quietly doing your thing. So trading is really not that different from other jobs held by knowledge workers.

2. Find some other people you can rub elbows with who are interested in trading. Join a meetup group (or start one). As you get better at trading and get to know other people who do it, you'll find out that most of them know less about what they are doing than you do. However, it's still fun to talk with people about trading. BTW, they'll be no different from your current friends. You could tell them every single thing that has made you successful. They will listen politely, but they won't believe you and they won't want to try your methods.

3. Your friends, like mine, are infected with it-cannot-be-done-itis. BE THANKFUL that you do not have this disease. For all of us, it's primarily our own minds that hold us back. You won't be able to change that about other people. Most of us traders beat our heads against the wall for a while before becoming successful, and I suspect that most people who try to trade quit during that interval. Congratulations on persisting.

Best wishes with your trading.

#19     Jan 5, 2018
    wtpWTP, Junky, Sprout and 5 others like this.
  10. Wait. He said to get out and get laid. Not dating and getting involved in relationships. Those will mess up your trading bigtime.

You are a trader now. Foreplay and all of that type of thing adds no value, it is just a time when you could otherwise be checking the S&P and checking to see if your Bollinger bands have penetrated your ichimoku cloud yet. If you meet a woman (or gender of choice) and she does not understand this, get rid of her immediately. Learn to cut your losers short and let your winners run.

:cool:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    #20     Jan 5, 2018
    221bazookas and wtpWTP like this.