New trader looking for edu. tips!

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by TheSponge, Apr 28, 2009.

1. TheSponge

TheSponge

I just joined the forum and I'm simply looking for trading education as far as books, websites, videos or any other avenues that might be useful. What are common books in the trader world or perhaps TV shows or other educational tools? I have stock piled my library with books and am going through them with a fine toothed comb so to speak trying to gain knowledge. Just looking for tips from other traders that may help me gain extensive knowledge. Thanks!

2. Very reassuring, how many of you here would like to have major abdominal / transplant surgery performed by someone who has read a couple of books and watched some episodes of ER or Scrubs :D

P.S. Why then do you do the same to your hard earned money ?

3. Your best edu. would be lots of screen time.

4. The best education is placing actual trades. Don't get caught up in needing to be profitable at the start. Place small trades. Another good way to learn is by paper trading. Books can help a lot, what they can't do is show you how you will act with real money on the line.

Money can be very emotional, it is after all what allows most of us without farms or gardens to eat, have shelter, and take care of our families. It is when you have actual money on the line that you will begin to learn about yourself and your risk tolerances.

The sort of risks you take in real life may be an indicator of the sort of risks you will take in the market. Also, we are all very different people and see the world very differently. What makes me or someone else successful may not make you successful. It may take some time to find your niche and where you will be successful/most successful.

I just came across the following link, very interesting. Watch toward the middle or end where Mr Douglas talks about paper trading. This is assuming that you are using paper trading seriously as an educational tool and not being flippant about it.

http://www.4shared.com/file/96740657/227e2748/Mark_Douglas_-_Mind_Over_Market.html

Good trading