New Tower Components

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mktman, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Thanks all for suggestions and the video link.

Heatsink comes with CPU, so I'll use whatever paste comes with it since that is AMD recommended. I've messed a little with Duron CPU installation before, just never built a computer. I like to put a single monitor video card first so I know that it will work since it only costs about $30 to $35 for a Nvidia TNT2. I don't quite understand sharing cable part.
    Were you asking CPU price? Its from PCSupplySource.com (it actually went up $2.00 from I found to the time I ordered) which I found it through pricewatch.com. The XP price is incredible, you can find xp 2000 at $85 (retail boxed not oem).

#41     Dec 11, 2002
  2. keep us posted on how you do

#42     Dec 14, 2002
  3. jperl

jperl

If your machine is not going to work it won't be because you are using a dual head card.
    Don't know what you mean by sharing cable part. On a dual head video card like the Matrox G450. There are two outputs, each requiring a separate cable . The setup for the monitors is done in the operating system. Win XP is very good for this( I presume that's what you will be using).

#43     Dec 14, 2002
  4. Thanks for your suggestion. I originally was going to try out single head first then order quad head card. I actually changed my mind last night after looking into dual head card. I'm glad I did what you suggested, I ordered a g450 dual 32mb through compuvest for $69.75. I'm hoping that it can arrive before Christmas day.
    Thanks for clarifying sharing cable part. I will use win2000 pro.

#44     Dec 14, 2002
  5. jperl

jperl

Well using win2000 as your operating system is another can of worms. I know there are many win2K users on this board who recommend it highly. I have used them all and I don't recommend you get involved with it. It's a long story, but the short and sweet of it is, as windows operating systems go, WinXP is the best thing to come along from Microsoft in a long time(and I hate Windows). If you are building a new machine, spend the 90 bucks and get yourself a copy of Xp. Win2K will probably give you a lot of grief.

#45     Dec 14, 2002
  6. (2) Intel Xeon 2.8GHz w/motherboard ($900)
    (2) 1GB RAM ($500)
    (2) 128MB Video Card w/Dual ($170)
    (4) 17" Flat LCD Moniter ($1200)
    (1) 40 GB Drive ($45)
    Other stuff like NIC card, CD/DVD drive($200)

Total comes up to: $3015

All from E-bay!!!

OS and additional software... not included...

#46     Dec 15, 2002
  7. Go directly to WinXP. I normally make my clients wait a while before going with new OS's. I don't like being a default beta test site for Microsoft. But this one, XP (Pro), seems to be one of MS's better products (appears to be!).

I put it on one of my dual monitor test platforms and have run it through the wringer for the past three months. Seems stable and robust enough for full operations. Updates work fine and crashes have been very minimal. Actually, it took quite a bit for me to lock it up.

I'll be changing over everything from Win98 (second edition) and Win2000 Pro to WinXP Pro in the next week or so. Space hog? Yes indeed! But it seems to be complete. I have heard some horror stories about Service Pack 1. Having installed it, I can find no troubles with it so far and I have taxed it quite a bit. Good luck! :)

#47     Dec 15, 2002
  8. jperl

jperl

For those of you wanting to upgrade to WinXP, be forewarned you can upgrade win2000 only to winXP Pro not to the XP Home Edition. You can upgrade win98 ok to either XP Home or Pro.

#48     Dec 15, 2002
  9. You can upgrade to the Home edition also, but you really do need to basically be a tech as the possible conflicts and troubles are extensive. There really are no valid long range arguments for going to the "Home Edition" as an upgrade anyway. From whatever flavor of Windows you have, take your next upgrade's as "Pro" versions. Good point though. :)

#49     Dec 16, 2002
  10. jperl

jperl

I have heard this comment before but really don't understand it. I happen to have the pro addition on my setup, but most of my customers want the home edition because they don't want to spend the extra $50 for the pro. So other than some additional admin tools in the pro, give me some cogent reasons why they should not upgrade to the home edition.

#50     Dec 16, 2002