New Tower Components

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mktman, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Hmm, while you might make more money than he will, I can assure you it won't be based on the fact that you have six, count 'em, six 19" screens to view with. Trading truly is not about who's hard drive spins faster or who has the most SDRAM. Convenient viewing? Possibly. Nifty looking? Granted (in some cases). But if your system send/response time is 264 nanoseconds, and someone else's is 360, and you both are tied to the same latency on reply....

And remember, both of you are running at less than a second speeds. The weakest speed link is still involved, HUMANS! :)

#21     Nov 30, 2002
  2. jperl

jperl

If you do daytrading mondotrader, a multimonitor system is not a luxury, it is a necessity. If you are trading equities, you need 1 screen to view all your real time stock charts, another screen for your trading software, a third screen for showing sector indices and perhaps a fourth screen for news and/or other portfolio information changing in real time. Anything less is dillusional.

#22     Nov 30, 2002
  3. It is also easy to get larger screens and efficiently set up the screen real estate. Scrolling news feeds/tickers. Set up alert pop-up windows, etc. All this can make for a good alternative to more monitors. News feeds don't need digital capacities so a large analog platform could easily be put to the task. I know, I've done it. Mine also is voice controlled so email and other things are handled with my wireless mike. So word processing, accounting and other duties are merely a summons away.

So not enough monitors for one may be too many for another. The right answer here is whatever makes you happy! :)

#23     Nov 30, 2002
  4. 6 monitors? Are you out of your freaking minds? Can you imagine what that would cost us to equip our traders with six monitors and state of the art equipment?

Bright Opening Orders on the NYSE, 286's and amber montiors rule the freaking markets!

#24     Nov 30, 2002
  5. jperl

jperl

It's a lot cheaper and more efficient to have multimonitors than one large monitor. Consider the following
    a) 2 17" monitors have a viewing area of ca. 578 sq. in.
    b) 1 23" monitor has a viewing area of 529 sq. in.

Which do you think is more efficient?

#25     Nov 30, 2002
  6. Questions,
    If FSB is 266 then there is no need to buy PC2700 memory?
    Is onboard sound and modem good or bad?
    Thanks for help.

#26     Nov 30, 2002
  7. I checked out this MB. It says FSB supports only 100/133/166. I thought now most MBs supports at least 266. Am I missing something?

#27     Nov 30, 2002
  8. How about:

c) the one 36" monitor that I have.

You see I had determined that one could be set up very efficiently. And the way to do it would not be to get the next size or two up. You would go for broke with a larger one for coverage and distance viewing. Then it was just a matter of sniping it off eBay. One year later I am still happy with the choice. And best of all it only cost me $400 too! :)

#28     Nov 30, 2002
  9. The confusion is that when they talk about DDR memory (Double Data Rate) which transfers information on both edges of the clock, they talk about the effective clock rate as opposed to the real clock rate. So when they say 266 MHz, that is the effective speed of the memory bus, but the bus is really only running at 133 MHz. So DDR 333 is really using a 166 MHz bus (166 x 2 ~~ 333).

#29     Nov 30, 2002
  10. This is the correct understanding of the way it works. I've heard some goofy other things but this is the way its done. :)

#30     Nov 30, 2002