new to futures...not sure what the issue is today

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Mr.Sir, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Mr.Sir

Mr.Sir

Hey Folks,

I am looking at the ES minute charts and DOM table and it seems bizarrely slow today....so weird in fact that i called the FCM and the data provider to check whether there are technical issues going on.....they said nope, all fine and dandy on their end.

mind you, i was checking the markets since opening, it is now ~noon in chicago.

is there something special about 3rd friday of the month when it comes to trading futures?

any look out scheduled dates of significance for trading futures?

thanks

2. speedo

speedo

Summer doldrums coupled with general malaise.

3. southall

southall

yes, third friday of every month is option expiration which has a knock on effect on stocks and stock indices.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You should post your chart of the Emini ES futures that you think bizarrely slow today so that others can compare their charts to yours.

You could be having data problems or you're new to the Emini futures and didn't realize the Emini futures slow down during the summer months.

When it doubt, check your historical data for the same month going back several years.

Also, hopefully you're not using the charts by your broker in comparison to using an independent chart vendor to see problems faster when you compare data from your chart vendor against the data/charts from your broker.

wrbtrader

5. Mr.Sir

Mr.Sir

thanks folks,

you all pretty much hit it on the head. It's indeed first time I hear about the "summer slow down" thing!.....say, what's so special about summer? why do the emini's slow down during it?

@southall: great point.

@wrbtrader: good idea. I get data from CQG and use sierra, both are offered by AMP. I compared the chats against TD's TOS...they matched alright...but it was the slow development of the bars and the really slow ...ehm....how to say this professionally.....wigglin of the DOM data that got me worried.....that think jumps around wilder than a bat outta hell on normal days...my eyes wouldn't be able to keep up....not today!

@speedo: thanks Doc. slip dem markets a vitamin pill or somethin would ya? :)

6. speedo

speedo

A lot of institutional traders take vacations during the summer.

7. southall

southall

Apparently different algos run on option expiration day, and many of the regular algos get turned off. Which might explain the difference in the DOM action you are seeing today.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    BONECRUSHER likes this.
  8. manonfire

manonfire

Welcome to the market! You really need to trade and observe over a full market cycle, several years to answer your question. There is much more then significant dates, economic reports, earnings, seasonality, that drive changes in volatility. Take your time, the market is not going anywhere.

9. Welcome to ET...I see you already have 16 posts at the time you opened this thread.

Feel free to ask questions along your journey. There are many here that can give you some insight, shortcuts...etc...

as you train...the fastest pace you will excel is when you trade! Learn from your mistakes trade small...

ES

10. Mr.Sir

Mr.Sir

thanks again folks, I totally agree (@ElectricSavant )....theory isn't a replacement for the real deal.

#10     Jul 21, 2018