New to ET

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by TraderFred, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Hi Gents,
    The name is Manfred and I've been a part time trader for years, mostly directional option trades on the oex. Looking to expand my knowledge in the e minis. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to commend the folks who run this site as to how well it is laid out. I had a rough day today, but my stop loss triggers got me out before the new chairman sent the Market up even higher. Hope others here did better.

MS

2. Why learn about the e-minis, just curious?

Looking for a backup? Looking to trade minis instead of Options? Or just curious about them?

Not going to tell you not to try Futures, that is where I first started and got my ass handed to me. But if you do try futures, must strongly urge you to start at 1 contract and stick with it for a good while until you are 100% sure it is time to go up.

I might strongly suggest if this is your first experience with indeces or e-minis, that it might be better (and a much cheaper option) to trade the QQQQ and other index tracking instruments before outright trading the e-minis themselves. Just a suggestion.

Good luck either way, definately a good idea to have a backup in my opinion anyways.

3. BCE

BCE

Welcome to ET Manfred. :) Sorry you had a bad day but as you know if you've been trading for awhile there are days and then there are days. Fortunately your stop loss triggers kept it from becoming a really bad day. The Search link at the top right of the page is a good place to look for threads with topics you're interested in. Lots of people here trade e-minis including me. Good luck finding what you're looking for. Click on the View All Forums and Threads link below these links and go to the middle of the page to see the futures threads.

4. I'm just wanting to expand my knowledge about futures trading. I guess a good question is which instrument is better to trade, options or e minis , and what are the pro's and cons of each.

MS