New Study Confirms That Carbs Make You Fat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Visaria

Visaria

If u don't buy them, you can't snack on them. Goes for junk food too. Rather difficult to eat bags of chips and sweets and crap if you don't have any in the house to start with.

#41     Nov 25, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  2. Does not matter, I love salty snacks and although I can easily ignore bags of chips or pretzels (which are there for others in the house), cashews and peanuts and macadamia nuts are like crack. I have to not buy them because as was mentioned by a few others, a handful here and there and you downed 600 calories without realizing it.

#42     Nov 25, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  3. luisHK

luisHK

Aren't nuts supposed to carry "healthy" fats ? Seen several BBers claiming to eat nuts regularly. I snack on them in the evenings to avoid carbs when some are at home, but most often there are none (there are no chips or pretzels either), probably better to go for nuts without extra salt though.

#43     Nov 25, 2018
  4. luisHK

luisHK

85, about the several hours a day training, 45mns might be on the short side, but most competitive powerlifters as well as many BBers advise work outs below 2 hours, sometimes below 1 hour. It doesn't need to be a Planet Fitness style work out if you train 45mns.
    FWIW I easily get to 1.5h but take very long breaks in between sets of short rep compound exercises (which is what I enjoy most although articulations and tendons beg to disagree), it is not clear to get either bigger or stronger one has to train particularly long, the contrary seems most often advised.
    Add in serious cardio and sure trainings get longer or more frequent.
    I'm not crazy about BB so have probably missed programs with longer workouts, sorry in advance about that.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    #44     Nov 25, 2018

5. They are a great snack but as I am trying to drop some weight and control quality calories I cannot snack on them responsibly :). I just keep eating them.

But they are a great snack to address some hunger or avoid other worse things.

#45     Nov 25, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  6. The thing is that you immediately mention people wanting their pasta, bread and cookies when referring to anyone who doesn't favor the paleo approach. That's a bit of a straw man thing, don't you think? And while there may be shorter-term advantages to a paleo diet, it is not without its own drawbacks longer term. So it's okay that you favor one over the other, but please don't assume you have stumbled upon a panacea for all that ails us. The research does not support such a conclusion.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/welcome/features/2014-2015/06/20150603_paleo-diet.html

#46     Nov 26, 2018
  7. :thumbsup:

#47     Nov 26, 2018
  8. Just curious: which compounds, how many reps and at what speed?

#48     Nov 26, 2018
  9. luisHK

luisHK

Those which take me most time are Squat (every session at the moment, one heavy one lighter) and Deadlift, sumo nowadays, I work different rep ranges, but prefer 1 to 3 reps. Started again lifting over 1 year ago, with surprisingly less small injuries than while doing other sports, but I need to be careful working with max weights, always afraid of a bad big back injury, not a young man anymore -45, and a couple of slipped discs and sciatica away from the times I squatted without worry... Not sure about the speed, when it gets heavy, as fast I can manage, which is not very fast, taking big breaths between each heavy rep.

Other compound exercises I do are Stiff legged deadlift, bench press( flat, incline and close grip) overhead barbell press, barbell/pendlay rows. i don't do much more exercises than that btw, except abs and lately some arm exercise at the end of the session. If back feels good over Xmas holidays I might go back to a purer Powerlifting routine (with small ass weights...), or get back to the 1 set per exercise full body routine we talked about here a while ago, which worked great at least until I lowered the reps below 6. it gets quite taxing when either deadlifting or squatting heavy every session.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    #49     Nov 26, 2018
  10. One to three reps...wow. In my younger days, I favored lower reps, but I never went below six. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just that I can't wrap my head around 1 to 3 (unless maybe you were training for a lifting competition).

I recently posted the following link in another thread:

https://www.cbass.com/Carpinelli.htm

If you haven't read it, you might finding it interesting and, possibly, useful.

#50     Nov 26, 2018