New Study Analyzes Rebates to Brokers

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Options12, May 7, 2012.

1. Options12

Options12 Guest

The laws governing exchanges are meant to ensure that the rebates do not result in customers getting a worse price for their stocks. If an exchange has the best offer at a given moment, other exchanges have to send orders there.

But in today’s high-speed fragmented markets, there are several instances in which this rule does not protect investors. For instance, if a broker sends the first 100 shares of an order to the exchange with the best price, the broker can send the rest of the shares to another exchange where it will receive a larger rebate. Several academic studies have found that the cost of executing trades is at a record low. But Matt Samelson, the founder of Woodbine, said these calculations have not factored in the “hidden prices” that can be incurred when investors don’t get the best price.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/07/b...a-conflict-of-interest.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

2. Bison42

Bison42

Interesting how the NYSE always prided itself on getting the best price for the customer. The Rebate issue is a slippery slope since it contradicts Best Price practices upon which the NYSE was founded.

3. Options12

Options12 Guest

No. I don't think it's online. Best I could find is this link from Woodbine.

http://www.woodbineassociates.com/Exchange_Performance_2011.html

This 75 page report has 4 tables and 61 figures.

For the full executive summary, table of contents, and more information please contact:

Ryan Surprenant
    Director of Sales and Relationship Management
    Phone: 203-274-8970 ext 203
    Email: rsurprenant@woodbineassociates.com

4. Bison42

Bison42

I didn't look at the study. I worked at the NYSE long enough to know when orders are being diadvantaged.

Take firms that internalize orderflow for example. They pair off what they can and send any imbalance to an exchange. No price discovery there, is there?