New software dev project

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by psheridan050, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Well then what's the point of the "25K" for contributing to software development. A software developer is either going to be a partner and basically work for free, or they are going to charge a fee and the fee will be well over 25k.

Unless he plans on buying third party tools to assist in development. Overall though, with the time and effort, the entire project will cost at least 100 grand.

#11     Apr 6, 2008
  2. btw..open source doesn't mean "free". If you plan on selling the platform, you'll have to pay licensing fees to use the software. Additionally, you are required by the GPL to release your software back to the open source community. So unless you don't mind releasing the source code for your project, you won't be able to use open source.

#12     Apr 6, 2008
  3. I'm surprised by this question, coming from someone who, judging by the previous post, has apparently worked in product development.

The point is that the venture guys will be much happier if the originator has some of his own money in the pot. They know that guys who are willing to put their own money on the line are going to be much more likely to pour their heart and soul into a project. Often, the reason small ventures like this fail is that the individuals involved aren't willing to put the sweat equity into effort. As has been pointed out here, there are other products which provide most of the same functionality.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I didn't get the impression from the OP that the 'skills' he required the partner to bring to the table were coding skills.

#13     Apr 6, 2008
  4. Ok, if he isn't expecting the partner to do the coding, but is strictly needing them to add to the investment, then that is a different story. My point is simply this. The software development is going to be far more expensive than what he thinks it is or what people are telling him. I've yet to see a software project meet budget. Generally, they go 100% over budget. So I'll say this to the OP...take your best case scenario, and multiply it by 2 to get a more reasonable estimate of both costs and time.

#14     Apr 6, 2008
  5. Yes, I was actually going to post the same thing. You're right that even 100K is probably too low for a thorough job.

#15     Apr 6, 2008
  6. I agree.

Hopefully it doesn't sound like I'm trying to drive a stake through his idea. If the OP has a real motivation to do this, then they should go for it. I just didn't want him to have any unrealistic expectations.

#16     Apr 6, 2008
  7. Here is more on what I’m looking to do:

What I want developed is not an ATS nor would it be handling customer orders. It is a stock screening service that uses pseudo code to return stocks that match a user’s criteria. A user can then take this filter and backtest it over whatever time frame they wish. They would also be able to optimize the backtest and then walk-forward optimize it. It brings together elements that in my experience are missing in a lot of software packages as a whole. There is a lot of packages that provide these features individually, but not in the manner in which I envision. There are other features I would like implemented, but these are the main ones. As for competitors, take a look at stockfetcher.com. They are a screening service with limited backtesting. What they offer is not enough to perform rugged testing of a strategy. There are other competitors, but they all pretty much offer the same thing to varying degrees. I am targeting this software mostly towards people who know enough about TA and strategy development who can appreciate the shortcomings of the competing websites. These users, like me, may not have a background in programming languages. The custom language I want is more like a collection of phrases that can be combined to form instruction that the software can understand but looks like normal language (as much as it can).

Also, the “skills” I was thinking of would be in areas I lack. For instance, an ideal partner would be able to contribute equity to the project, understand technical analysis and statistics, and is a programmer themselves. It’s not my intention to get a partner to program the project themselves, but to help manage it.

As for open source, I would discuss it with the developer, but in essence I would be using open source OSs, MySQL, the statistical language R, etc. to get this project going. Not sure if I would have to release the code to public for that but needless to say I would take a different route if that were the case.
    I have written many pages to get my ideas on paper and organized a bit but this project is still very much in its infancy. I have this vision I can’t get out of my head and I need to see it though. I guess the first step for me is to get a firm quote from someone, and then be prepared to double as suggested. You continued ideas and suggestions is appreciated.

#17     Apr 6, 2008
  8. rosy2

rosy2

#18     Apr 6, 2008
  9. ATLien

ATLien

1. Open Source Software does not imply the GPL license.

2. Just because your software makes use of GPL licensed software, such as MySQL, does not mean that you need to release your own software under the GPL or a GPL compliant license. Including GPL code in your application is a different story.

#19     Apr 6, 2008
  10. I have to be honest with you, this paragraph is a little confusing to me.

#20     Apr 6, 2008