New Size Edition! B*A*R*R*O*N*S Game!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Must be great to have a job that pays millions and only have to repeat the same bs once or twice a year to the media.

#11     Jan 14, 2007
  2. Date..Ticker..Price.12/29...Chg
    5/15..MA......39.00..98.49..152.54%
    2/06..ACP.....33.97..85.73..152.37%
    3/13..2318HK..17.30..43.05..148.84%
    7/17..AAPL....50.67..84.84...67.44%
    2/27..GRMN....33.50..55.66...66.15%
    1/23..MOSY.....5.79...9.25...59.76%
    7/31..COH.....28.14..42.96...52.67%
    8/14..TALX....18.21..27.45...50.74%
    8/28..ANAD.....6.00...8.86...47.67%
    4/10..JBX.....42.90..61.04...42.28%
    2/06..GT......15.21..20.99...38.00%
    7/24..ITC.....29.23..39.90...36.50%
    6/19..RIO.....21.79..29.74...36.48%
    9/11..LHA.GR..15.30..20.84...36.21%
    9/18..CLF.....35.82..48.44...35.23%
    1/30..MHP.....51.07..68.02...33.19%
    8/07..MBL.AU..60.20..78.93...31.11%
    2/27..IACI....28.64..37.16...29.75%
    4/17..SEPR....47.98..61.58...28.35%
    4/17..HPQ.....32.62..41.19...26.27%

#12     Jan 14, 2007
  3. Why are they wasting ink to congratulate themselves on the good picks while there's no mention of their bad picks? :confused:

#13     Jan 15, 2007
  4. They did, but I chose not to include it. If you you make a trade based on Barron's (or any one else's) suggestion and it heads south, where do you sell it? -5%? -10%? -20%?

So just where do the "pick analyzers" figure the out point is? Or do you just take all picks on the day of recommendation and look at the close x number of days later? That's not how I, or anyone else I know, actually trades.

#14     Jan 16, 2007
  5. Quick update folks.

1) APOL up a buck since monday backs off gets a bit of a scary letter from SEC.

2) SPLS Likewise up a buck $26.40 area to $27.40.

Two Winners, No Losers, That's Why We Play The
    B*A*R*R*O*N*S GAME. Tune in next week folks!

#15     Jan 18, 2007
  6. Punk folks. Just plain punk- we had to really juke and jive just to turn a couple hundred bucks out of the last issue. Part 2 of the roundtable Barrons arrived this morning torn and tattered at my doorstep. On the cover two women- well one women actually, dressed up two ways: pretty and full of jewelry with lots of makeup & somber, no makeup, no jewelry. The title "Rich America, Poor America". Oh no not the wealth divide thing again! Well judging just by the picture I like Poor America better- she looks stable, not on the meds, and one would think a little more original in the bedroom. The Barrons thesis is that you buy certain stocks for the rich folks and certain ones for the poor folks. Wake me when it's over folks!

Alan Abelson is back. Phew! And his piece is basically a call out to Saudi Arabia saying this new low cost of oil is no accident and it's a payback for Bush staying in Iraq. I'm inclined to believe that 100%. The only problem with Alan's reasoning is he goes on to apologize for saying that oil was going to 70 before 50 whoops! Get your conspiracy stories straight guys!

In Barrons Champagne bucket of stocks for the wealthy are quite a few good picks among them:
    Intercontinental Hotels our play from 2 weeks ago, Lifetime Fitness a GREAT stock I own that is only $4 higher than where it traded last year, sotheby's, Tiffany, Nordstrom. You don't have to really research any of these, they all could have a place in a well balanced portfolio.

In The Beer Bucket, it's the usual jumble of pawn shop plays and dollar general stores. I feel like I've been through this reasoning so many times- but Coach which is listed under the champagne heading is probably the only retail play that spans both demographics effectively.

The next piece is a short idea Under Armor. (UA) Could not agree more, a PE of 53 on 07' for a fad play no thanks.

Into the roundtable now and this is the second installment of three, usually the worst, and this time around it's no different. Lyondell Chem is pumped twice but I just went through researching this one last week with a No outcome due to high debt concerns.. Archie MacAllaster picks Corning, Capital One whoops! They missed earnings already!, Hartford financial- geez I was into that one at $50 now archie wants you to buy at $91? I think we have to leave Archie now. Bill Gross picks a mish moss of ETF's and Japanese bond plays, thanks Bill! Bond players are soooo boring. Next up Felix Zulauf with one of those esoteric useless lists: Buy the VIX, European telephone stocks I shares Singapore (after a correction) and a Norwegian fertilizer stock etc. Boy we are flying through the roundtable with no ideas. Next up Dear Abby! They start by saying Abby is not a stockpicker, then as if to prove that point, she gives us Royal Caribbean! Stomach flue anyone? At least she follows that up with Medimmune and Barr
    Pharm to help you get over your cruise. Abby also like Symantec which is profiled in the same issue negatively and General Electric who just tossed in a so so earnings report.

Enough roundtable! Next week i imagine we will get the interesting picks. Now comes a spotlight on Manor Care the nursing home chain. This will be a potential buy. Hanson Natural comes next, a stock I have owned on and off in the past- now 30% lower that where I owned it! Hanson is profiled, detailing a distribution agreement with Anheuser-Bush. This smells like an eventual winner.

In charting the market WCI Communities stands out Carl Icahn is getting into the mix to help the company and himself unlock inherent value. We will have to research the real estate developers properties. And Manor Care is there, looking beautiful bouncing off it's trendline. Lehman raises price target to $58 from $49- undoubtedly what got the Barrons editors thinking about Manor Care in the first place. We may have to take a look at the whole nursing home segment I think.

Looking at the Amex's biggest winners and it's HiShear Tech (HSR) do you know that was the first stock I ever talked about on ET? In fact I gave it to HydroBlunt at $7 I wonder if he still has it now at $11.04? This will be a possibility. YM Bioscience is there >I considered buying mid week in the mid $3's this is a Vivian Lewis favorite biotech who has fallen on hard times. YMI is worth a look.

In research reports we have a recommendation by AmericanTechnology Research whoever the hell they are on Navteq. I love this company but it's been a tough investment vehicle- I've had little luck with it but they dominate the car mapping systems that every newfangled car or truck seems to have. These guys feel there is 38% upside potential. interesting here at $32.50.

in 13D Filings there's our friend Carl Icahn digging in at Telik. Telik is another interesting biotech I held it for years in Boston and sold it for a double. It has since crashed. Carl has bought over 5 million shares 3.8 million of them SINCE Dec 28. We may hitch a ride with Carl here.

In New Coverage we spot Navteq again- this time by JMP Securities- This is the Barrons hint we are well familiar with by now.

OK lets sum up: The Ideas To research This Week Are- Hanson Nat / Manor Care / WCI Communities /
    Hi Shear / YM Bioscience / Navteq / Telik...

The mailbag segment at the end of the paper is a good read this week several readers complaining loudly about the new smaller format. And the editors groveling and promising to put this and that back in.
    I hate to tell the editors this but we can look up our symbols anywhere these days ,why not get rid of the whole back of the paper and expand the writing? Clever huh? You could charge $4.00 instead of $3.00 for the in depth stock profiles and publish a separate tables only rag and sell it for 50 cents or $1.00> the result a combined $5 from some and an improved $4.00 by most everyone else. And barrons stays the same size! Did I just solve all Dow Jones' problems in one quick fix? That's Why I'm the stonedinvestor!

#16     Jan 20, 2007
  7. Stoney is focused on tesmilifene from YM BioSciences (YMI), which has demonstrated a good improvement in survival in one Phase III study (50% improvement), and if it replicates that data in a second ongoing study, it may provide insight that tesmilifene is actually hitting a diseased stem cell line that is responsible for much of the relapse that occurs five to 10 years after somebody is deemed clinically cured. Those are basically cells that have a substantial amount of protein pumps on their surface, and they are usually mutagenic stem cells that have lain dormant and are responsible for much of the relapse and the ultimate demise of the patient. So that's a trial we are focused on and a mechanism that we're looking at relatively closely.

Recent update from company...
    MISSISSAUGA, ON, Jan 15, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- YM BioSciences Inc. , an oncology company that identifies, develops and commercializes differentiated products for patients worldwide, today announced that the independent Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) for the pivotal Phase III trial of tesmilifene in patients with metastatic or recurrent breast cancer has notified the Company that the milestone of 320 events required for the third interim analysis in its pivotal Phase III trial has occurred.

Since the last "data sweep" was completed in November 2006, the DSMB advised the Company to conduct a further data sweep to bring the survival data current prior to performing the third interim analysis. This data sweep is ongoing and the Company expects this work to be completed and to have a formal recommendation from the DSMB in February 2007. A data sweep is conducted on a periodic basis prior to each interim analysis.

"Although we are eager to learn the outcome of this third interim analysis, a meticulous review by the DSMB of any new data is entirely in keeping with the rigor of this trial," said David Allan, Chairman and CEO of YM BioSciences. "Because of the interest in this third analysis and expectations that it might occur this month, we decided to confirm that the threshold number of events has been reached. We have no additional information from this trial at this time."

The pivotal Phase III trial compares the survival of patients treated with tesmilifene combined with epirubicin/cyclophosphamide to epirubicin/cyclophosphamide alone in women with rapidly progressing metastatic and/or recurrent breast cancer. The trial, which completed enrollment of 723 patients in September 2005, is the subject of a Special Protocol Assessment and a Fast Track designation for advanced breast cancer by the FDA.

>> This is even more wordy than most bio announcements and I'd be lying if I told you i understood the real odds here. I'll be working this name YMI more and hope to bring you more info.
    So far of the Barrons highlights this is the only stock that has caught my attention because the news is going to break in feb and it is a NOW sort of stock play....

#17     Jan 21, 2007
  8. I believe the roundtable attendees mentioned NBR and PXD too

in this weekends edition of barrons

they might be worth a look esp if the price of crude oil and other energy products
    do not drift to much lower than last weeks lows and make some sort of retracement price wise

#18     Jan 21, 2007
  9. You know SethArb I do believe you are on to something. I held as long as I could with my various energy names and I went into liquidation mode on this last move down. So now I'm kind of caught-- this happens at bottoms... I've formed an " opinion " and it's hard to flip again. One thing I would say is there was a very clear trade last year and it was long oil short nat gas. this year it will be the exact opposite. Notice how Saudi arabia controls the oil price but not the natural gas. oil has plunged gas is flat to up... Some plays that come to mind CHK, APA and LNG. Also remember in the prior roundtable the talk was of a more speculative but CHEAP land driller called Bronco, that looked very good.

Good Luck and Good Point! :confused:

#19     Jan 21, 2007
  10. What are we left with? APOL & SPLS being technical charts of interest. I'll play with the big boy tools on Monday with those names and look for signs of accumulation. ...FOLLOW UP. APOL LOOKS GOOD*

I'm inclined to favor the APOL, we're up over a buck on our purchase and it did a nice probe up of $42 a few days back and today, on a bad day today went right back up and through.

Any technicians out there care to give me a review of APOL?

This Winner Has Been Brought To You By A
    Nasty Young Fellow Enterprise And Is Produced By
    Stonedinvesting Inc. For Your Investing Pleasure. Any Assumption That Future Gains Can Be Predicted On A Constant Basis Is I Think Correct.

sorry working on one of those excuse paragraphs in case I ever set up a blog. everyone seems to have one.

#20     Jan 22, 2007