New Scientist: End of nations: Is there an alternative to countries?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by OddTrader, Feb 20, 2017.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. It seems to me that a Cosmopolitanism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmopolitanism system, which is based on many more smaller-size world states individually, should be quite different than a Globalisation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalization system, which is based on lesser number of large-size nation states individually.

A world state can have its own identity, culture, religion, character, industry, etc. Spending on military and armies would be small. Towards a peaceful world. Small businesses can survive. Less conflicts between wealthy and poor within a state, as no more nations.

Whereas, a nation state could easily lose its identity, culture, religion, charter, industry, etc. A nation state would have to support the nation it belongs on huge spending on military and armies. A less peaceful globe. Only some powerful giant businesses can make big money. More conflicts between wealthy and poor within a nation.

https://elitetrader.com/et/threads/...d-progressive-right-lift.300657/#post-4295803

3. luisHK

luisHK

Interesting article, thanks for posting it- just fiy I read it yesterday without issue on a smartphone, but trying to open your link again on a desktop I need to register before reading.
    It was already a bit long to hope for much feedback on this forum, but with the registration required it looks worse.

4. Marxism by another name and not a chance in hell of working for the very same reason Marx convienantly ignored. That reason is the basic, primal nature of the human condition. We are driven by greed, envy, fear. Someone convince me that we are more than a few small steps out of the cave, socially speaking. Forget technology. That just makes us more proficient towards destruction. Convince me that our technology isn't ripping us to pieces. I won't hold my breath

5. luisHK

luisHK

That's a problem when you link to long articles, posters come up and spout unrelated comments without having bothered to read them.
    No idea how it will evolve, but it was interesting to read about the birth of nationalism and borders.

7. I read what I could see posted. I don't see how you can claim that the basic human conditions I stated are unrelated. They are the very premise behind nationalism and borders, and until we get these conditions in check the idea of a more peaceful world is fantasy.

8. luisHK

luisHK

Not sure what Marxism got to do with it. From what I remember the original article is about how nations and borders are recent and derived from more complex economies, and the need for more complex bureaucracies to manage those economies. Nationalism, and the sense of belonging to those nations for the people who happened to live within those borders was than ingrained in large part by state funded education and efforts, but came after the nations themselves.
    Interesting tidbits about multicultural and multilingual countries as well.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  9. luisHK

luisHK

Fair enough, reading the first lines that appear above and Oddtrader's following questions,it shows a different problematic than the one which picked my interest, part of the article - not the part I found particulary interesting- is about how international organisations ( UN, G/8/20, WTO...) deal with world issues, while possibly shedding a light on the authors' preference for the future.

10. Brexit
    Scotexit
    Itexit
    Spexit
    Grexit
    Calexit

#10     Feb 21, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.